dSLR Camera Basics

• 87 replies

john

• "Touche..."
    • View Profile
dSLR Camera Basics
« on: August 19, 2010, 07:35:39 PM »
Capturing freeze motion, blurring a moving object, adding fuzzy background, and many more effects can be achieved by adjusting dSLR settings.

The camera's fully-manual (M) mode means letting your camera decide the best setting for a perfect exposure and giving up all control. Or you can call the shots!

Getting to Know Your Camera’s Settings:How to “WOW” your friends with your stylish photographs

A good understanding and experimenting with the camera's basic settings is a smart way to start. Getting the perfect exposure for example, is possible by choosing the right combination of two settings: the Aperture and the Shutter Speed.

In digital photography multiple terms with the same meaning could be confusing.

Aperture, F-Stop and Diaphragm all refer to the same thing which is the size of the lens opening
allowing light to the camera's sensor.

Shutter Speed determines how fast or how slow the image will be captured. In return the image will either freeze or show some motion. .
1 The F Stop. Lens' aperture AKA Diaphragm

Lens' aperture is the size of the lens opening used to take the picture. It is expressed as a series of numbers which typically fall between 1.4 and 22.
Larger f-stop is expressed by smaller numbers such as f/2 or f/4. While smaller f-stops are large numbers such as f/11 or f/16.
The sizes of the numbers are reversed because apertures are actually the denominators of fractions. A smaller aperture lets less light onto the sensor. And a larger aperture means more light.

–For example if an image is taken at a small aperture such as f/16, the overall subject including the background will be in sharp focus.

–A wider F-Stop which is a smaller number like f/1 will allow plenty of light onto the sensor. Setting to a wider aperture will capture a less sharp image with a blurry background.
This method is called the depth of field and used by many photographers to create a dramatic scene.

The Portrait Mode of a camera uses a wider f-stop to blur the background and puts the emphasize on the model.

When you want a large area and lot of things in focus then you can trade-off the depth of field by using a small aperture.

Under normal light conditions, for pictures with normal effects, the rule of thumb is to stay away from anything less than f/8.
2 Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed is a measure of how rapidly the exposure takes place.
A shutter controls how long the light passes through the lens to expose the image on the sensor.

What can be accomplished using different shutter speed settings:

With different shutter speed settings you can capture the action of a moving object by

1. Freezing it so there will be no indication of movement.
2. Blurring it and thus showing some action.

Setting fast shutter speed like to a 500 of a second will freeze the motion.

Darker light conditions, in order to expose an image you will need to use a slower shutter speed. But be aware that a photo taken without a tripod and at the slower shutter speed might show some motion blur.
Special effects such as paint with light can be accomplished at a very long exposure that means a very slow shutter speed preferably a manual one.

With brighter conditions, you will need to use a faster shutter speed, which will have the effect of freezing motion. Choosing a faster stop will allow less light and the overall image will be darker. As a general rule an overexposed image will lose details in the highlights and an underexposed image will lose details in the shadowy areas.
Combination of shutter speed and f stop

Let's say you want to take an image of a cyclist speeding and the standing crowd watching him. You want to show some action of the cyclist and the crowd in focus. A Combination of a slower (1/60 of a second) shutter speed will show action of a moving object.
Choosing a small f stop (remember a larger number for a small f stop) will get everything else in focus.

To manipulate the sharpness of the object:
Focus on the object and use a large f-stop, you will get a brighter and less focused background.

Use a smaller f-stop and focus in the middle of your frame and you will get a darker and more focused background.

Exposures Modes

Exposures mode is to set the f-stop and shutter speed for getting the right exposure. There are 2 types of modes available:
Basic Modes and Creative Modes.

When Basic Mode is selected the camera does all the work. This mode is good for getting everything right but limits any type of creative affects.

Program Mode is an example of BASIC mode where aperture and shutter speed are automatically set according to the light condition and available lens.

Creative Mode (Examples of Creative Mode)
-Aperture Priority mode
-Shutter Priority Mode
-Manual Explosion Mode

Variable Program Mode

Portrait Mode

Landscape Mode

Close-Up Mode

Night Portrait Mode

Sports Mode
Life is precious,value it,take care of it,protect it participate and be  part of the living...

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: dSLR Camera Basics
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 07:41:40 PM »
oh my goodness, this is complete information Joh, with accompanying photos

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 03:15:06 PM by mikeygatal »

john

• "Touche..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 07:52:40 PM »
Yup! A big help for those new in photography.. 8)

Well, I and my wifey decided to walk around Tandang Sora area to execise, I brought my camera to take some photos applying the new tips from this thread...  8) 8)

Here are some of the shots!

« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 06:16:47 PM by mikeygatal »
Life is precious,value it,take care of it,protect it participate and be  part of the living...

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 08:48:14 PM »
something like that for an amateur like me and these shots were taken by my brother in law Michael Quintia

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 03:16:11 PM by mikeygatal »

rogergatal

• Administrator
  • "proud to be an MG security, and i'm watching you"
    • View Profile
    • www.hotelsinbohol.com
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 09:31:58 PM »
wishing to have an SLR someday, i love photography ever..

just like these photos taken by my brother in law Michael Quintia

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 03:17:33 PM by mikeygatal »
life is beautiful!

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 10:42:14 PM »
wishing to have an SLR someday, i love photography ever..

i don't wish wi bro coz it's really hard to maintain this thing

w

willyramasola

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 12:07:08 AM »
buti na research mo na ito bai para hindi na masyadong blurred mga pics mo next time. hehehe.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 12:27:17 AM »
kaya nga, pansin mo na rin pala hehehe

john

• "Touche..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 01:06:31 AM »
buti na research mo na ito bai para hindi na masyadong blurred mga pics mo next time. hehehe.

bitaw bai, mas gamay ko ang luma kong camera ,ang may film, very easy to find the aperture control and the shutter knob. Makukuha ko rin to, spend more time lang ko sa pagkalikot! ;D ;D ;D

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 02:04:44 AM »
bitaw bai, mas gamay ko ang luma kong camera ,ang may film, very easy to find the aperture control and the shutter knob. Makukuha ko rin to, spend more time lang ko sa pagkalikot! ;D ;D ;D

post ka bro ng new threads ;D