GOING BANANAS!

• 176 replies

lamay

• View Profile
GOING BANANAS!
« on: February 22, 2008, 05:29:15 AM »

CAVENDISH: Developed last century (in the hothouses of the Duke of Devonshire, whose family name it carries) and easily the predominant variety in this country, accounting for 95 per cent of the Australian crop. A handsome, long, well-flavoured dessert banana that is also good for cooking. Gradually turns brown after cutting, but this can be prevented by the application of lemon juice.

PLANTIAN: There are several varieties of plantain, the non-sweet banana whose floury-tasting flesh is cooked rather than eaten raw. Popular in Caribbean and Philippine cooking, and increasingly so here.

GOLDFINGER: A new variety developed by crossing the dwarf lady finger with a diploid selection bred from the Asian banana pasang jari buaya, and one that you'll be seeing in the shops. Its virtues are good looks (the skin is bright golden, the flesh yellow), good flavour, not browning when cut, and a longer shelf-life - two to three days more than other bananas. It is soft-skinned and in hot weather should be stored in the refrigerator (the skin will turn brown, but the fruit will stay fresh and firm).

LADY FINGER - (SUGAR) A short, fat banana from Brazil that accounts for most of the small percentage of the Australian crop that is not cavendish. Sweeter and tangier than cavendish, but a little inclined to astringency - always allow a lady finger to become fully yellow at the tips before eating it. Especially good for decoration or to use in salads as it does not turn brown when cut.

BANANA BELL - BANANA LEAVES - The male part of the banana plant is a cone of red leaves enclosing yellow stems. The leaves of the bell can be sliced for salads or used for wrapping food to be baked (as can the ordinary green leaves of the plant). The stems in the centre of the bell can be sliced for stir-fries.

A few other varieties of banana are grown in small quantities for special markets such as Asian food markets, but are a rarity in most
shops. You may sometimes see blue java, with silvery skin and bland, white flesh, mostly used in cooking; ducasse, the variety commonly eaten and used for cooking in Thailand, and the ideal one to use in Asian dishes; and red dacca, a red-skinned dessert banana whose especially smooth and creamy taste makes it perfect for a smoothie or banana split.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 05:52:18 AM by Myla »
shake it all off and just have fun!

tart

• Global Moderator
  • a one man-woman...
    • View Profile
    • www.boholster.com
Re: GOING BANANAS!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 08:04:51 AM »
basta akoa, lakatan!
follow us too at www.boholster.com

"it's good to be hated of who you are than to be loved of who you are not...."

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 02:10:53 PM »
banana chips is good for y diet

jenny

• life is full of surprises!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 09:19:06 PM »

my favorite kind of banana, kasi pwede iprito, basta pwede sya maluto kahit ano..
i'm back & i love ya'll, muah3x!

dj paparazzi

• play by request..
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 09:52:32 PM »

i like this for salad with lots of spices, wow perfect for appetizer..
a very reliable source of current events here in bohol.. and watch out!

christine

• hello everyone..
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 09:03:15 AM »

i love this..
make love not war..

janice

• aloha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 09:37:20 PM »
i eat any kinds of bananas
i am not a fighter...i am a lover

Kitz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 12:29:47 PM »
i like some of it,they say it's kind of fattening?

ryanjoe

• Global Moderator
  • Here without you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 06:28:13 PM »
basta akoa, lakatan!

tam-is ra kaayo ni tart.. barbecue nalang.
You had me at my best. She had me at my worst.

jinkyjane

• I am 'Never Plain Jane'...
    • View Profile
    • Jinky Jane
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 07:38:42 PM »
Love all kinds of bananas! It's rich in potassium and dali pa kan-on.
"When I reach the place of my dreams, I will thank my failures and tears. They too, kept me going..." ~ Dodinsky (In My Garden of Thoughts)