j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Moriones Festival, Marinduque, Philippines
« on: April 14, 2011, 12:51:58 AM »
Moriones Festival is one of the most colorful festivals
in Marinduque, Philippines" - Zenaida J. Serrano

One of the most colorful festivals celebrated in the island of Marinduque is the Moriones Festival. Morion means "mask" or "visor," a part of the medieval Roman armor which covers the face. Moriones, on the other hand, refers to the masked and costumed penitents who march around the town for seven days searching for Longinus. This week-long celebration starts on Holy Monday and culminates on Easter Sunday when the story of Longinus is reenacted in pantomime. This is a folk-religious festival that re-enacts the story of Longinus, a Roman centurion who was blind in one eye.

Legend has it that Longinus pierced the side of the crucified Christ. The blood that spurted forth touched his blind eye and fully restored his sight. This miracle converted Longinus to Christianity and earned the ire of his fellow centurions. The re-enactment reaches its climax when Longinus is caught and beheaded.

The festival is characterized by colorful Roman costumes, painted masks and helmets, and brightly-colored tunics. The towns of Boac, Gasan, Santa Cruz, Buenavista and Mogpog in the island of Marinduque become one gigantic stage.

The observances form part of the Lenten celebrations of Marinduque. The various towns also hold the unique tradition of the pabasa or the recitation of Christ's passion in verse. The Via Crucis is also reenacted and flagellants, known as antipos, inflict suffering upon themselves as a form of atonement. After three o'clock on Good Friday afternoon, the Santo Sepulcro is observed, whereby old women exchange verses based on the Bible as they stand in wake of the dead Christ.

Did you know that

Morion means mask, which is part of the medieval Roman centurion’s helmet. Moriones are the masked penitents who take part in the reenactment of the legend of Longinus, and Passion of the Christ.

"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Moriones Festival, Marinduque, Philippines
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 12:52:31 AM »
Once upon a time, way back when, caught a bus in Pasay City bus terminal early morning. Arrived Lucena City about mid-morning. Took a ferry boat and reached Sta. Cruz, Marinduque, late afternoon. Event was in Boac but gf lived in Sta Cruz. Had to bring ba-on as nothing to eat in boat. Boat toilet was hopelessly ..... Oh, yes, there was a PAL flight, but, just wanted to experience going by bus/boat. Not to mention, sightseeing along the route.
Airport was at Gasan - a jeepney ride to Boac. :) ;)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 10:44:40 PM »
Think SHe's avatar was taken at dawn or dusk. Reminds me of Marinduque. Sta Cruz is a coastal town.
Woke up early morning and walked along the beach. Saw gf looking at the far distance in silent reverie. A very similar scenery.
Approached her. Told me her USA working visa's approved. Promised when she comes back she'll wear my wedding ring.
Not long after in USA, she got married to gc holder. Hehehe.
Jus reminiscing, that's all. :) ;)

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 11:12:37 PM »
“If you love somebody, let them go. If they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were.” :) ;)
- Anonymous

j

juan

• View Profile
Alamat Ng Marinduque
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 06:07:05 PM »
Anyone still remember this? Hehehe.  :) ;)

j

juan

• View Profile
Alamat Ng Marinduque (synopsis)
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 05:45:16 PM »
Garduque, scion of a noble Spanish family, fell in love with a peasant girl, Mutya Marina. In those days, such a relationship was taboo. The Filipino was considered an inferior race. Called indio.
The lovers eloped by boat. Garduque's family took chase. As they were closing in, the lovers sunk their boat and drowned themselves in the sea.
Not long after, an island was born on the spot the lovers perished. It was christened 'Marinduque', a contraction of the lovers' joint names. :) ;)

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 06:18:20 PM »
Holy Week will always recall memories of Marinduque, Moriones Festival, and Pat Boone's "Love Letters In The Sand".

Love Letters In The Sand
Pat Boone
Words by Nick and Charles Kenny and Music by J. Fred Coots

On a day like today
We passed the time away
Writing love letters in the sand

How you laughed when I cried
Each time I saw the tide
Take our love letters from the sand

CHORUS
You made a vow that you would ever be true
But somehow that vow meant nothing to you

Now my broken heart aches
With every wave that breaks
Over love letters in the sand

Now my broken heart aches
With every wave that breaks
Over love letters in the sand  ;)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 06:22:03 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 02:32:17 AM »
Yes, it's Holy Week again and the Moriones festival in Marinduque. :) ;)

Think SHe's avatar was taken at dawn or dusk. Reminds me of Marinduque. Sta Cruz is a coastal town.
Woke up early morning and walked along the beach. Saw gf looking at the far distance in silent reverie. A very similar scenery.
Approached her. Told me her USA working visa's approved. Promised when she comes back she'll wear my wedding ring.
“If you love somebody, let them go. If they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were.” :) ;)
- Anonymous

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Alamat Ng Marinduque
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 09:01:45 PM »
Garduque, scion of a noble Spanish family, fell in love with a peasant girl, Mutya Marina. In those days, such a relationship was taboo. The Filipino was considered an inferior race. Called indio.
The lovers eloped by boat. Garduque's family took chase. As they were closing in, the lovers sunk their boat and drowned themselves in the sea.
Not long after, an island was born on the spot the lovers perished. It was christened 'Marinduque', a contraction of the lovers' joint names.
 :) ;)

Racism isn't born, folks, it's taught. I have a two-year-old son. You know what he hates? Naps! End of list.
- Denis Leary
 :)

Must admit was taught, too.
 :(
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 09:13:38 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 06:27:32 PM »
“If you love somebody, let them go. If they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were.”
- Anonymous
 :) ;)
‘tis summer here. Brings back memories of summer loves. :)

Pat Boone- Love Letters in the Sand (lyrics)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcENbgyn_ic

Remember You're Mine - Pat Boone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srxi5xgdKrk