• 40 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Longing for Colon St.
« on: May 17, 2011, 03:35:24 AM »
by Henry L. Yu, M.D.

WHEN you spoke of downtown Cebu back in the ‘60s and ‘70s, you referred to that oldest street called Colon, along with Juan Luna St. (now Osmena Blvd.), and Plaridel, Manalili, Magallanes, Legaspi, Pelaez, Sanciangko, Junquera streets, among others.

These parts of Cebu will always be dear to my heart because they form a fabric of my yesteryears.

I remember the first time I got into downtown Cebu.

It was in 1960 when I tagged along with my mom. Our first stop was at the Manila Restaurant on Manalili St. for a bowl of maki (beef noodle soup) and siopao (steamed meat bun).

After that we went to Inting’s Grocery on Magallanes St. for some grocery stock orders, then across to Gay Sen Goldsmith for some jewelry business transactions, which my mom was engaged in during those times.

We had lunch at International Rice Houseon Colon St. (also referred to as just Colon) after which we went to Crown Grocery on M.C. Briones St.

Next, we went to Carbon Market for another set of stock orders. By 5:30 p.m. we boarded a taxi to Pier 4 and took the boat for our trip back to Iligan.

The summer of 1966 brought me back to downtown Cebu with an uncle this time for a vacation.

We checked-in at Intercontinental Hotel (near Gilmore Tailoring) on Manalili St. We had lunch at Majestic Restaurant in Colon and dinner at Swank Cafe on Sanciangco St. We also savored the renowned spring chicken of Chicken Island located in Colon. And again, I was in downtown Cebu in the summer of 1970 for another vacation. Same time, same places.

I have always been captivated by the lure of the more glittering life of a bigger city like Cebu back in my younger days. I did not know that someday I would become a permanent resident of this provincial capital situated on the eastern coast.

Looking back, it was in 1973 when I started life as a Cebuano (Sugboanon), who would speak the language of a true blue Sugboanon in due time, and who would live the Cebuano lifestyle. It has been Cebu for me since then.

Downtown Cebu was the place where I would run to for my shopping needs—from school supplies to clothes, from toiletries to gifts, and other items.

It was in White Gold (located then on Juan Luna St.) where I bought the materials for my school uniform.

Downtown Cebu was the center for business and entertainment, the heart of the city’s lifestyle.

It was where the movie houses were: Victor, Vision, Eden, President, Premier, Majestic, Mever, Oriente, Rizal, Seven Arts, Ultravistarama, Best, Omega, Diamond, among others. It was Southern Flame at the revolving Skyvue Diamond Tower for our nightclubbing and disco sessions.

Other times, I would find myself either eating my favorite chicken mami (a noodle soup make with either chicken or beef) and siopao at Fuji Teahouse located in what is now Gaisano Metro.

For my shopping needs, I went to White Gold, Fairmart, Best Buy, Gaw, Rosita’s Colon, Cinderella, Chekito Bazar, Sen Hiap Hing, Atin’s Supermarket, Felcris, and so on.

In the ‘90s when the mall trend hit Cebu, Colon took a different turn and has never been the same again.

Downtown Cebu still refers to Colon, though, but it has taken on a different aura.

Gone are the movie houses (some are now used as places where food is sold or cheap DVDs and CDs are sold), the restaurants of old, our favorite hangouts, and so on.

Colon is no longer the place we run to whenever we needed something.

But in my moments of solitude, I long for the old Cebu—downtown Cebu in particular.

That is because that was where lots of beautiful memories were built and created together with the many significant people who have been part of my young life.

Yes, the so-called youthful exuberance when I was a part of “the young and the restless,” in a world that was simpler.

I will never forget Colon. It will be always be The Downtown of my youth.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 03:37:48 AM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Longing for Colon St.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 03:37:20 AM »
When I read this article, I was overcome with a sense of nostalgia.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 01:06:12 AM »
Left Cebu after grad. Little did I know it was never gonna be my home again. But, then again, Cebu has never been the same again. :(

j

juan

• View Profile
"Some memories are realities, and are better than anything that can ever happen to one again." :)
- Willa Cather

sweets

• Global Moderator
  • "pepsi lover"
    • View Profile
    • www.boholster.com
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 09:15:37 AM »
hadlok ang colon

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 11:55:33 PM »
hadlok ang colon

Not the old Colon I used to stroll alone or date with my gf. :) ;)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:56:58 PM by juan »

sweets

• Global Moderator
  • "pepsi lover"
    • View Profile
    • www.boholster.com
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 08:48:27 AM »
ngeeeeeeeeeee hadlok baya

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 10:54:28 PM »
ngeeeeeeeeeee hadlok baya
Bsan asa sa Cebu, hadlok nko. Maau untag kuyugan ko sa akong Anghel Magbalantai. Fragile ra ba ko kaau. Hehehe. :) ;)

felix

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://felix.boholano.net
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 12:49:44 AM »
dili kaayu hadlok basta vigilant lang ka hihihi
"Good people are like wind. You cannot see what is inside thier hearts but you can always feel their goodness and sincerity"

http://felix.boholano.net

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 02:42:10 AM »
Mas safe jyud kon kuyog nako si Guardian Angel. Hehehe. :) ;)