Really? ??? You're joking. :) ;)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:21:30 PM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
More than just a financial crisis
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2013, 12:46:24 AM »
The Drum By Chris Berg Posted Tue 1 Oct 2013, 3:35pm AEST

While the policy ramifications of the GFC have been modest and reversible, we have been left with a deep cynicism about our economic and political institutions, writes Chris Berg.

Five years ago, the United States Congress was debating its $700 billion bank bailout bill.

Lehman Brothers had collapsed a fortnight earlier. Global share markets were in free fall. It was a time of panic.

But half a decade onwards it is clear the global financial crisis was a cultural crisis as much as an economic one. That's only natural. Assigning events with cosmic moral significance is part of the human condition.

In his famous crisis-era Monthly essay, Kevin Rudd said the economic downturn was so great that we were entering a new epoch in human history http://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2009/february/1319602475/kevin-rudd/global-financial-crisis . But Rudd was positively restrained compared to what you heard on talkback radio and newspaper letters pages.

Take this letter http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/letters/we-can-blame-this-mess-on-our-genes/2008/10/13/1223749940831.html , in The Age at the time, in which a professor of medicine speculates that our brains may need rewiring after the crisis. Meanwhile, this is a good example http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/greed-has-made-us-very-scared-20081007-4vt6.html  of the typical hand-wringing column warning of the danger of greed and avarice.

All pretty ridiculous in retrospect. And all, of course, from the political left. Perhaps understandably so. The left's opponents had crowed for three decades that there was no alternative to deregulation and privatisation. Now those certainties seemed dead. The political high ground was up for grabs.

Well, for a bit. The financial crisis quickly morphed into a sovereign debt crisis. That development somewhat dirtied the otherwise clean political message. Turns out the societies most damaged by the crisis were not those who had let their markets run rampant but rather those whose governments had been unregulated by the norms of prudence and responsibility.

So much for the revolution.

The crisis has prompted some modest changes in economic policy - the renewed interested in Keynesian demand management, for instance - and has entrenched government deficits into the foreseeable future. None of these are welcome, but they are reversible.

But it seems likely that the most significant long-term consequence of the Global Financial Crisis is a deeper, more prejudicial popular cynicism about our economic and political institutions.

And rightly so. The GFC involved multiple institutional failures. All sides of political economy were found wanting. Politicians, regulators, central bankers, and markets were all equally corrupt or incompetent. They all failed in their own special, complex, and opaque ways.

In retrospect, the crises of the 1970s - symbolised by but not limited to Watergate and Vietnam - were less damaging to public confidence than the financial crisis of 2008. As I pointed out in The Drum last year, polls record higher dissatisfaction with government http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/3790244.html  now than they did then.

Here's some indicative American polling data http://www.gallup.com/poll/1597/confidence-institutions.aspx#1   from Gallup on confidence in institutions, from the presidency to organised labour to banks. In almost all, there has been a clear long-term decline, a decline which was been exacerbated over the last five years.

Such cynicism inevitably manifests itself in popular culture. Hollywood has made a business of selling our neuroses back to us.
Yet most movies that directly tackle the crisis have been either forgettable or too heavy handed to succeed - for instance, the completely unnecessary Wall Street sequel. They tend to suggest that the crisis was caused by the Wall Street lifestyle; that the long economic slump can be blamed on greed, carelessness, or criminality.

As an exercise in fictional villain creation, this approach is fine. But it doesn't quite capture the all-encompassing nature of the crisis.

There are just so many villains to go around - not just Wall Street excess, but the politicians who forged the massive bailouts, the ratings agencies, the financial regulators, and the central banks.

(It is interesting that one of the only films ever made which shows financial trading in a positive light - The Pursuit of Happyness with Will Smith - was released at the end of 2006, just months before subprime started to hit.)

More evocative of the crisis was the 2009 George Clooney film Up in the Air. This film said nothing about the causes of the crash, but instead focused on the economic despair it caused.

Australians tend to call the whole episode the Global Financial Crisis, but in the United States it goes by the prosaic "Subprime Crisis", followed by "the Great Recession". That different emphasis - from the origins of the crisis to its consequences - explains some of the pessimistic ennui which has enveloped the Western world.

It would be one thing if the 2008 crash had been followed by a strong recovery. But instead the world has experienced a long, uncertain slump.

Up in the Air depicts an economy battered by anonymous forces that the victims neither see or understand. Clooney's job is to fire employees one by one. The recession in Up in the Air could be any recession. It doesn't matter how it started. All the sacked workers know is that they have no control over their fate. The existing institutions have let them down.
It captures, in other words, a sense of institutional estrangement.

Such estrangement, and the cynicism it breeds, will be the long-term legacy of the Global Financial Crisis.

Chris Berg is a Research Fellow with the Institute of Public Affairs. His most recent book is In Defence of Freedom of Speech: from Ancient Greece to Andrew Bolt. View his full profile here http://www.abc.net.au/news/thedrum/chris-berg/28138 .

« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 12:48:50 AM by juan »

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: Coming financial crisis will make times much harder, warns economist
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2013, 01:54:27 AM »
mao man my two banks in the Philippines ay medyo busog na

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 03:21:12 AM »
imo palang gihatag ni tart kami untang duha ang nabusog. ;D ;)

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2013, 04:49:50 AM »
buyag kay i have some hidden back accounts na ako ra makakita

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2013, 07:04:57 AM »
lost money deposited in Banco Filipino before left Philippines. :(

Yep. This is more than a Global Financial Crisis. Just heard news that in the last boat people tragedy in Australia, many of the refugees/asylum seekers are Lebanese. Pm Abbott forewarned that Australia will not accept refugees/asylum seekers from Syria. Just too much.
An empty threat. Don't think will deter people smuggling. :(
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 07:11:35 AM by juan »

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2013, 08:33:22 AM »
solid pa naman ang BDO and PNB, try it

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2013, 07:21:59 PM »
solid pa naman ang BDO and PNB, try it
Sa Pinas, prefer to put my money in this,
Quote from: juan on July 09, 2013, 03:17:48 PM
Offering money/scholarships to a young talented Filipino woman to become an engineer in exchange for a night (or nights) with you for whatever absurd plans and crap that you're very desperate of  becoming my wife.
 :-* ;)

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Have much2X higher return on investment. Hehe :) ;) Earn me truckloads of cash to bring into my next life. ;D ;D

Came across obituary of ex-gf while still living in Manila way back when. Hehe :) ;) Reverted back to her maiden name. Must be divorced.
Recalled bitterness felt when she left me for another. Was one of those supported in her last sem of nursing study till secured her RN. When went to USA, got married to a puti not long after.

In retrospect, can't blame her. Like many, she was desperate to secure GC asap. :)

"It's amazing to see a situation in retrospect and understand exactly why it happened...There is a reason for everything! (Unknown)" :) ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 08:28:01 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2013, 08:09:38 PM »
The USA Outstanding Public Debt as of 06 Oct 2013 at 02:23:18 AM GMT is: $16,751,509,246,598.13
Click http://www.usdebtclock.org/ for real time figure. It’s $16.9+ trillions.
 :o :o :o :o :o :o

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2014, 12:53:29 PM »
save ng save na naman ako, naka over 100K na pala ako sa BDO