Karratha, Western Australia destined to become a world-class city

• 19 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Re: Karratha, Western Australia destined to become a world-class city
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 09:18:24 PM »
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined" by Henry David Thoreau. :) ;)
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 07:59:48 PM »
make some new designs for our OMG shirt that says differently or get an idea like these!

When you will be working in Karratha, design t-shirts like these. Something like “Govt didn’t turn Karratha Town into a world-class city. I did!” Will surely sell like hot cakes - even better than Kristel's empanada. No offence intended, Kristel. Business is business. :) ;)
With so much money, they won't bother washing. Just throw away and buy a new one. Oh, yeah, tourists, too, will love these as souvenirs. Pinoy ingenuity. Hehehe. :) ;)

Picturing heavy mining equipment. Remember having such while in Koolan Island. Years later, was wearing one in Brisbane shopping centre. A lovely lass asked, “Oh, you’ve been to Koolan Island”? Replied, “Used to work there”. Girl said, “Really? ??? You don’t look that type who’d want to work there. You know ... a lonely, rugged life. Anyway, my brother’s working there as a dump truck driver”. :) ;)
Yep, that’s what we Aussies are – the diggers.
:) ;)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:25:52 PM by juan »

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Extreme weather and the Pilbara. What can we expect in 50 years?
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 07:17:28 PM »
Karratha is a small town adjoining the port of Dampier in the Pilbara region of Western Australia which was developed from the 1960s to accommodate the processing and exportation workforce of the Hamersley Iron mining company and, in the 1980s, the petroleum and liquefied natural gas operations of the North West Shelf Venture. The town's name comes from the cattle station from which land was reclaimed for the development. Karratha in the local Aboriginal language means 'God's country' or 'Sacred Earth' . The town is the seat of government of the Shire of Roebourne.
Geography
Karratha is located approximately 1,535 kilometres (954 mi) north of Perth and 850 kilometres (528 mi) south of Broome on the North West Coastal Highway.
Population
16796 (2007)(2006).

The Shire of Roebourne and the WA Government have launched exciting new plans to transform Karratha into a world-class City of the North.

From a new-look town centre to waterfront developments and new residential lots the bold blueprint paths the way for Karratha to become a major Australian city with more than 50,000 local residents.

The Karratha City of the North Plan has been at the drawing board since late 2009 and involved a team of more than 20 of WA’s best and brightest urban designers, planners and landscape architect.

The plan takes the region one step closer to “realising the dream” of achieving the WA Government’s Pilbara Cities vision. The Karratha City of the North Plan endows the region with vastly improved infrastructure and amenity and offers more affordable and diverse styles of housing.

The Karratha City of the North Plan is a three-phase strategy that will guide the development of future housing, open spaces, commercial activities, tourist accommodation, entertainment and retail areas as well as service infrastructure, transport, education and community facilities.

The Karratha City of the North Plan includes a number of strategic community well-being and infrastructure projects designed to provide immediate improvements to public amenity and lifestyle for local residents.These include:
•Pam Buchanan Family Centre
•Frank Butler Community Centre
•Karratha Leisure Complex
•Cattrall Park Redevelopment
•The Youth Shed
•Bulgarra Sporting Precinct
•Permanent Playground Shade

Interested to know more? Click http://www.roebourne.wa.gov.au/city_north_home.aspx  :) ;)

wow...
i would love to live there
Oh, how awesome life will be to be living in this new modern city!!!!!
Well planned and spread out. Not crowded like LA, USA or Manila, Philippines.

Extreme weather and the Pilbara. What can we expect in 50 years?
Australian Mining 14 February, 2013 Andrew Duffy

The last two months have seen a spate of cyclones and dust storms disrupt resource operations in the Pilbara.
But while it's already a challenging place to do business, most experts say the climate will be even harsher over the next 50 years.

Such a climate is poised to throw even more upsets at one of the harshest, yet most profitable parts of Australia.

Concerned about the potential for larger disruptions in the future, researchers at the CSIRO asked key decision-makers late last year what they were most worried about in a world of rising extremes.
The findings unearthed a raft of potential threats for the Pilbara, but mapped out a plan to keep the industry on track.

The state of play
Almost 90 years ago Marble Bar racked up a world record 160 consecutive days of temperatures over 100°F (37.8°C).
The record still stands, and is a testament to the extremes of the Pilbara's heat, which is still on the rise.
But hot weather isn't the only problem in the Pilbara, with the region's coastline also one of the most cyclone-prone regions of Australia.
Not only are cyclones more frequent there than anywhere else in Australia, they are also more severe, with some storms capable of winds over 170km/h.
Looking back over the historical records, the CSIRO said Bureau of Meteorology data showed that from 1960-2010 maximum temperatures in the Pilbara had risen between 0.05 to 0.15°C per decade.
Over the same period rainfall has increased in the north and central areas, but decreased in the south-western region.
Based on the data at hand climate scientists have projected 2070 temperatures in the region to be around 3°C higher than 1990 levels.
And while one projection shows a substantial increase in summer rainfall, the majority of scenarios show a decrease in rain over the winter period.

A sceptic community
While the CSIRO workshop aimed to operate above the politics of climate change, a broad scepticism regarding the science of the issue still shone through the study.
The CSIRO reported a majority of decision-makers involved in its workshop agreed the Pilbara climate would change significantly over the next 50 years.
But most also agreed they had no confidence in the climate change projections provided by scientists.
In planning for the future the CSIRO's study made no broad claims about the threat of climate change on a global scale.
It instead focused solely on the Pilbara, and swept the politics aside to help industry prepare for a range of different scenarios.
The workshop was about ensuring business was not caught off-guard by changes in the climate, and aimed to ensure the Pilbara kept its status as a world class mining region.

The risks involved
Faced with a climate that might be hotter, drier, and more cyclone-prone in the future, the CSIRO asked mining, services, and government figures what the biggest vulnerabilities were.
Under a warmer and drier climate, the rapid growth of the industry was seen as leading to increased competition for water supplies.
Under a hotter and wetter scenario, the health and safety of workers was marked as a key concern, with employees likely to face higher risk of heat-related illness, water borne diseases, and storm/cyclone injuries.
The industry's reliance on off-site workers and decision makers was also seen as contributing to its vulnerability.
But with climate change making the extremes of the Pilbara more prominent, the transitory nature of the industry was expected to increase.
The fact that workers and decision makers were often located outside the region reinforced the importance of communication and community engagement.
But improvements to miners themselves were also seen as a key way to cope with changes.
Improvements to technology and planning were marked as vital to adapting to harsher conditions, as were upgrades to existing infrastructure, services, and design standards.
Stakeholders also highlighted the need to bring in new talent and skills, as well was increase the knowledge of existing staff.

The bottom line
Whether you're a climate change advocate or a firm sceptic, historical records show temperatures in the Pilbara have risen since the region's first developers set up camp.
With records showing temperatures on the rise, and projections showing worsening conditions overall, demand for water will become a pressure point, especially as the region's population grows.
The risk of further downtime, along with harsher working environments, will also put pressure on employees and managers alike.
But while they're unsure where the climate is heading, awareness of the need to adapt is starting to filter through most companies.
The industry's largest players already have climate change plans in place, and such policies will likely receive more attention as the Pilbara develops through the coming decades.

Yes,indeed! Truly awesome life will be to be living in this extreme weather!!!!! ;D :D :) ;)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 07:46:50 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
Check out the Pilbara Project - VIDEO
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 05:47:23 PM »
Posted: 4/03/2013 5:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Australian-Life

With Western Australia celebrating Labour Day today, it only seemed fitting to feature the place where so much of the Australian resources industry finds their livelihood. The Pilbara Project http://www.thepilbaraproject.com/  is website designed to tell the story of the Pilbara region from a variety of different aspects.

Designed as a forum for sharing stories, the website encourages anyone who has any interest in the Pilbara to share stories and experiences. For seven years they’ve been collecting stories and are now ready to share it with the world. You’ll find a diverse range of stories from people working in the mining industry, local Aboriginal people and travellers who have passed through. The Pilbara Project is proudly supported by Principal Partner BHP Billiton http://www.bhpbilliton.com/home/Pages/default.aspx .

To learn more, have a look at this video describing the 52-week project.

52 Weeks On: A Pilbara Project Exhibition

from FORM http://vimeo.com/formwa  on Vimeo.

To read more and watch video, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/Our-Blog/March-2013/Check-out-the-Pilbara-Project-VIDEO.aspx

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 05:48:17 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 05:49:36 PM »
The Pilbara is a large, dry, thinly populated region in the north of Western Australia known for its Aboriginal peoples, its stunning landscapes, the red earth and its vast mineral deposits, in particular iron ore. It is one of nine regions of the Regional Development Commissions Act 1993, and is also a bioregion under the Interim Biogeographic Regionalisation for Australia (IBRA).
The region has an estimated population of 48,610 as of June 2010. The Pilbara covers an area of 502,000 km², which includes some of Earth's oldest rock formations. It includes landscapes of coastal plains and mountain ranges with cliffs and gorges. The major settlements of the region are Port Hedland, Karratha and Newman.

Karratha is a small town adjoining the port of Dampier in the Pilbara region of Western Australia which was developed from the 1960s to accommodate the processing and exportation workforce of the Hamersley Iron mining company and, in the 1980s, the petroleum and liquefied natural gas operations of the North West Shelf Venture. The town's name comes from the cattle station from which land was reclaimed for the development. Karratha in the local Aboriginal language means 'God's country' or 'Sacred Earth' . The town is the seat of government of the Shire of Roebourne.
Geography
Karratha is located approximately 1,535 kilometres (954 mi) north of Perth and 850 kilometres (528 mi) south of Broome on the North West Coastal Highway.
Population
16796 (2007)(2006).

wonder what it would be like to live there with a lovely teenage Pinay wife. Hehe  :-\ :) ;)
Reminds me of the song line in Jose Feliciano's "Rain",
"As long as we're together,
Who cares about the weather?"
:)

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 10:22:09 PM »
By Nicky Way

According to the local Aboriginal language, the word "Karratha" means soft earth or good country. With 23 per cent of Western Australia's gross profits coming out of the town, it seems the description is spot on.

According to the Shire of Roebourne’s website, Karratha is the powerhouse of the Pilbara. With a population of 14,000, it's located 850km from Broome in the north and 1500km from Perth in the south.

Karratha has rapidly expanded since it popped up in the 1960s and it now embraces the communities of Bulgarra, Pegs Creek, Millars Well, Nickol, Nickol West, Baynton, Baynton West and Tambrey. In the shire you’ll also find Dampier, Wickham, Roebourne, Point Samson and Cossack, raising the total population to just under 20,000 (ABS).

As part of the Pilbara Cities Vision Project (PCVP), Karratha has lofty ambitions to grow its population to 50,000 residents. That means creating another 22,000 jobs for the area - and no doubt many will be FIFO jobs to outlying mines.

At Karratha Airport, 620,000 people (including 10,000+ FIFO workers) pass through every year.  They head by plane or chopper to work and play throughout regional WA and beyond.

"Work" here often means mining - and in particular Rio Tinto’s Iron Ore projects located in nearby Pannawonica, Tom Price and Paraburdoo.

Rio Tinto’s Iron Ore sites include Dampier Port, Cape Lambert Port and the proposed Cape Preston. Other mining operations include Rio Tinto’s Salt Mines at Dampier, Lake McLeod and Port Hedland and Woodside’s petroleum and LNG sites at the North West Shelf and Pluto. Not to be forgotten is Citic Pacific Mining’s magnetite iron ore operations.

Karratha also supports a variety of industries including construction, transport, tourism, agriculture, fishing and ammonia exports.

The result of all this industry (and of course mining in particular) is a much higher cost of living than you'd expect from the average Aussie regional hub. The median price for a house in the Karratha area, as of May 2012, was $819,000!

Karratha has four state primary schools: Karratha, Millar’s Well, Tambrey, Peg’s Creek, and St Paul’s. For high school you have a choice of Karratha Public or St Luke’s High. Further education’s covered at Karratha TAFE for tech and trades courses. Child care seems a little thin on the ground: Karratha Occasional Care provides paid child care services. There are plenty of playgroups though at the Baptist Church, Karratha Family Centre and Karratha community house.

A range of medical services includes health centres, GP clinics, physiotherapists, mental health, drug services, speech pathology and chiropractic services, to name but a few. Karratha and Roebourne both have a public hospital, but the nearest private facilities are in and around Perth.  Like other remote WA communities the town is also serviced by the Flying Doctor.

The biggest retail centre in the Pilbarra is Centro Karratha. There you’ll find major food and grocery retailers and department store chains including Coles, Target, Telstra, Just Jeans and Jeans West. You’ll also find a smaller group of shops and some health services at the  Karratha Village.

There are plenty of leisure centres too. Karratha and Roebourne have an aquatic centre, plus there's an entertainment centre, golf course, bowls club and concert amphitheatre. That’s not all though, with quite a few facilities under development including a leisure centre and community centre. With all these leisure facilities there are plenty of venues for Karratha’s events and activities. Karratha’s FeNaClNG Festival, taking place in the first weekend of August, is such a big to do that a public holiday has been declared for it! The festival showcases agriculture, craft, sideshows and many sporting events.

With all these facilities, activities and industry at full steam ahead, it seems Karratha is already living up to its Aboriginal meaning of being the "good country".

wonder what it would be like to live there with a lovely teenage Pinay wife. Hehe  :-\ :) ;)
Reminds me of the song line in Jose Feliciano's "Rain",
"As long as we're together,
Who cares about the weather?" :)

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 06:23:02 PM »
The Pilbara is a large, dry, thinly populated region in the north of Western Australia known for its Aboriginal peoples, its stunning landscapes, the red earth and its vast mineral deposits, in particular iron ore. It is one of nine regions of the Regional Development Commissions Act 1993, and is also a bioregion under the Interim Biogeographic Regionalisation for Australia (IBRA).
The region has an estimated population of 48,610 as of June 2010. The Pilbara covers an area of 502,000 km², which includes some of Earth's oldest rock formations. It includes landscapes of coastal plains and mountain ranges with cliffs and gorges. The major settlements of the region are Port Hedland, Karratha and Newman.

The Pilbara - Mining Movie

A Day in the Pilbara
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 06:36:44 PM by juan »

wardiflex

• OMG Fanaticz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 09:48:59 PM »
it's hot but hinaguan nga pangita man...
kinsa tong mag pa pintal sa ilang balay etc., just inform me, naa koy kaila nga d best.09487352092

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 08:13:01 PM »
it's hot but hinaguan nga pangita man...

Karratha Information Video

Karratha - Western Australia

A beautiful day in Karratha Full HD

Pilbara Cities - Karratha flythrough

Oh, how awesome life will be to be living in this new modern city!!!!!
Well planned and spread out. Not crowded like LA, USA or Manila, Philippines.

wow...
Just a small mining town, mate. The tip of the iceberg, so to speak. Cannot imagine how Australia will look like a decade from now. Oh, how I wish I were your age! :) ;)
i would love to live there
Who doesn’t? Hehehe. :) ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 09:21:35 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
Auzcorp - "Our Town - Karratha"
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 08:53:14 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwaPjtffSM0

Uploaded on May 18, 2011
Latest in the series from Our Town in Karratha, Auzcorp (http://www.auzcorp.com.au) are major players in the future development of Karratha and are already making a big difference to the growth of the Pilbara area on the back of the resources industry. Auzcorp have a number of projects and services throughout the Pilbara area, creating smart partnerships with local communities in providing holistic solutions for the growing needs of industry and the society. Interests in Port Hedland include Mia Mia Port Hedland International Airport (http://www.miamia.com.au/-Airport-Cam...) and Shana's Cafe (http://www.shanascafe.com.au/).

In Karratha, Auzcorp are working in an urban design project, Banyon West (http://www.auzcorp.com.au/newventures...) to accommodate projected future growth in the population. This urban design project has been planned to bring a new sense of community to the town including landscaped gardens, bike paths and green walkways. The development has been designed with a community focus in mind and there are 200 planned residential units, all architecturally designed and offering a variety of accommodation types to the growing community.