Roasted Wild Duck

• 3 replies

sniper

• Global Moderator
  • I don't miss....
    • View Profile
Roasted Wild Duck
« on: August 18, 2012, 05:50:43 PM »

Did you know that the only way you can get a hold of wild duck in this country is by shooting it yourself, or having extraordinarily generous hunter friends who share their bounty? It's the law. Certain migratory birds can be hunted in season, but not sold. I've eaten, let alone cooked wild duck, and let me tell you, it is an entirely different experience than working with ducks from the grocery store. What follows is a loose recipe and several notes on cooking wild duck, for my own benefit so I remember the next time, as well as for anyone else out there who may have the opportunity to cook wild duck. And for any of you who happened to be seasoned duck hunters.

The first thing to note is that wild ducks aren't like chickens or turkey that you have to cook until 170°F. Wild duck is best eaten rare. The juices run red, not clear, more like a beautiful juicy red steak. The meat itself is a deep garnet red. It is easy to overcook the meat, like overcooking a pork tenderloin. Except when you overcook duck, the meat tastes game-y, like liver.

The taste of wild duck is highly dependent on where that duck has been feeding. According to the Joy of Cooking, shallow water ducks feeding on local grains, like mallards, widgeons, and teal, can be very succulent, while diving ducks feed on fish, affecting their flavor. Wild ducks are much more flavorful than domesticated ducks, as their muscles are getting a constant work-out, which is also why their flesh is so red. The taste is closer to steak than to chicken.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: Roasted Wild Duck
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 11:10:39 PM »
that looks yummy

sniper

• Global Moderator
  • I don't miss....
    • View Profile
Re: Roasted Wild Duck