900% Increase for Overseas Engineering Graduate Visas in Australia

• 47 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Posted: 3/10/2012 5:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Energy, Job-seekers, Mining, Oil-and-gas, Construction

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) has reformed the 476 visa scheme resulting in a 900% increase in the number of overseas graduates eligible to work in Australia.

What is the 476 visa?
The 476 visa is designed for engineering graduates who obtained a tertiary engineering degree to live and work in Australia for up to 18 months. Applicants have to be younger than 31 years of age. [Like me.] ;D

Prior to the reforms, the list of approved institutions was quite short with only 108 institutions listed. Now the list recognises all universities accredited by Engineers Australia, the peak body responsible for assessing skilled migration in the engineering sector.

Industry supports change
To give some perspective to this change, Industry association, Consult Australia, says the number of approved universities in the USA has jumped from 16 to 386.

Megan Motto, CEO of Consult Australia, explains the significance of the decision to expand the list of approved institutions on the engineering skills shortage in Australia.

“By extrapolating the trends for visa holders of Britain, the US, South Africa, Canada and Malaysia, we predict the permanent engineering workforce will be boosted by a minimum of four per cent.”

“The reality is that our engineering industry desperately needs  graduates to progress through the seniority ranks in Australia to subsidise the shortage of local engineers.”

It’s expected regional areas will benefit from these changes including mining, energy and oil and gas operations. As the 476 visa can be converted to a general skilled migration, the reforms are expected to have a long-term impact on the engineering workforce.

What this means for jobseekers
If you’re a young, qualified engineer, it’s just become easier to work in Australia. As the engineering skills shortage continues to plague the Australian resources industry, government, industry, and industry associations are working together to bring more qualified people into the Australian workforce. Employers in the mining industry, oil companies and energy businesses are all experiencing a severe shortage of engineers. Now is a great time for young engineers to consider an engineering job in Australia.

To read more, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/Our-Blog/October-2012/900-increase-for-overseas-engineering-graduate-vis.aspx :) ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 08:43:27 PM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: 900% Increase for Overseas Engineering Graduate Visas in Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 08:55:05 PM »
In the Philippines, a fresh graduate is usually below 25. May start here as something like a cadet engineer(?). Later, take the qualifying exam to become a full-fledged engineer.
Or, as mentioned elsewhere, try a different approach. Apply for any job, e.g., dump truck driver to get a foot in the door. Then, take it from there.
:) ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 12:18:23 AM by juan »

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Demand for Engineering Skills on the Rise in Australia
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 03:58:54 PM »
Posted: 6/12/2012 5:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Job-seekers, Mining, Oil-and-gas, Construction

We’ve reported before about the engineering skills shortage in Australia but a new paper from Engineers Australia https://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/  shows demand for engineers continues unabated. The Changes in the Australian Engineering Labour Market https://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/sites/default/files/shado/Representation/Policy_Notes/australia_2011.pdf  report release last week shows an increase of more than 30% 2006 and 2011.

“Australia’s engineering labour force (those employed directly in engineering work) increased by almost 60,000 engineers between 2006 and 2011,” said Stephen Durkin, Chief Executive Officer of Engineers Australia.

“The resources boom has clearly gained momentum between the last two censuses with the emergence of major energy, oil and gas projects. Western Australia and the Northern Territory led the charge, with demand for engineers expanding by a staggering 53.5 percent and 37.5 percent, respectively.

Engineering skills shortage widespread
While it’s easy to focus on engineering in the resources industry, far more engineers are employed in other sectors. In fact, mining ranks sixth on the list with about 13,500 engineers employed on mining projects. Top industries requiring engineering skills include:
•   Professional services - 60,654 engineers
•   Manufacturing - 41,114 engineers
•   Construction sector - 20,901 engineers

Skilled migration solution for engineering shortage
While Australian is graduating about 9,500 engineers every year, that’s still not enough to meet demand. Skilled migration makes a positive contribution to filling the engineering skills gap. Engineers from overseas made up 48% of the workforce in 2006 but climbed to nearly 54% by 2011.

“This latest paper confirms that engineers remain critical players in Australia’s ambitious nation building agenda. Engineers and engineering continue to make a huge contribution to our national economy, and these latest data draw attention to the scale of this ongoing contribution,” Mr Durkin said.

Have you thought about working in Australia as an engineer?
•   If you’re looking for engineering jobs in Australia http://www.miningoilandgasjobs.com/landingpage/10168/engineering-jobs-html/ , at make sure to visit the Mining Oil and Gas Jobs website.

To read more, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/Our-Blog/December-2012/Demand-for-Engineering-Skills-on-the-Rise-in-Austr.aspx .

j

juan

• View Profile
Bumped into a young puti chap, a welder, from Darwin. Told me heaps of Filipinos there.
Said he's having difficulty getting a job in the mines. Not surprised for tradesmen like him. With the looming uncertainty of the election results, mining companies are putting on hold making decisions on starting pending projects.
Of course, hiring of engineers and geologists continue for exploration and planning. Mining is one main lifeblood in Australia's economy. The more projects scheduled to be launched, the better the planning.
Sayang Zulacs played up on me. She'd now be a structural engineer. Would've been a golden opportunity for her. Water under the bridge now.
Come to think of it, mao jyud na ang kinaiya sa ato. Salig kai na-ai mga o/s Pinoys tigpadala og $. :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 05:10:53 AM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
Engineers have a significant impact on society

Posted: 10/07/2013 5:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Career-resources

“Get ready engineers, students, teachers, community! Australian Engineering Week 2013 http://www.makeitso.org.au/australian-engineering-week/newcastle  is on its way,” cheers Engineers Australia Newcastle Division President, Karlie Collis.

Australian Engineering Week 2013, organised by Engineers Australia, is a great event that celebrates the huge impact that engineers have on society, whilst encouraging communities to learn more and be inspired by the subject.

This year, Australian Engineering Week 2013 will be held from 5th – 11th August, with a fantastic program of events throughout Australia. There will be something for everyone to be involved with, from behind the scenes tours of some of the country’s most fascinating infrastructure, trivia nights, Q&As and workshops for school groups. These events are designed to appeal to the broader community, including professionals, trades, university students, families and school groups.

“Australian Engineering Week is also a time to engage our next generation of future engineers. It is a wonderful opportunity to showcase the profession as a rewarding career choice with endless exciting possibilities,” says Queensland Division President Simon Orton.

The Australian Engineering Week 2013 is lining up to be exceptional, so wherever you are in the country, make sure you get involved!

•   Sign up for jobs by email and receive the latest engineering jobs in Australia http://www.miningoilandgasjobs.com/jobs/engineering/australia/?utm_source=blog&utm_medium=social&utm_content=australian+engineering+week+2013&utm_campaign=enhance-moagj straight to your inbox
•   Are you receiving our blogs by email? Visit: http://eepurl.com/lB-h9 http://miningoilandgasjobs.us2.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=9aabd8f2f1a7824c5826fa6a2&id=560413e755

•   Find out more about Australian Engineering Week 2013 http://www.makeitso.org.au/australian-engineering-week

To read more, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/our-blog/july/engineers-have-a-significant-impact-on-society.aspx

j

juan

• View Profile
Posted: 16/07/2013 10:46:54 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Mining, Training-and-Development, Job-seekers

A familiar – and justified – gripe from university graduates is that they find themselves stuck in a cycle of being unable to get a job because they don’t have experience. Few graduates are able to spend their university days balancing study with work, leading to skilling gaps in their resume.

But provided you are motivated to pursue your career, combatting the problem of a post-graduate, unemployment lull may not be the drag you are expecting.

Here, you’ll find some tips on how to bridge the gap between university and employment.

Know Your Worth
Knowing your worth is a valuable fact to keep in your knowledge base, particularly as studies show a Generation Y trend toward salary expectations far exceeding the median range for graduate employees.
For example, the average graduate salary across all fields in Australia is around $45,000, while some student expectations hovered above $100,000.

Evaluating your worth means being realistic about your experience and your qualification. If you are just out of University with a scarce employment history, there is a very high chance that in your first job, you will be learning far more than you will be providing in skills and knowledge. Be prepared to give up on expectations of a car allowance in exchange for the training opportunities that will ensure your value as an employee can grow.

Consider an internship
Many organisations, especially in the resource sector, offer internships to university students and a large majority also accept graduate applications. If an internship was or is not offered as a unit in your degree, it is worth your time to pursue one on your own accord.
Internship opportunities are reasonably flexible with some taking place over the standard University semester and others during the summer break.

Begin your search by checking company websites for internship applications, but be prepared to dedicate time with the reward being mostly educational. While you may receive some benefits such as accommodation and food allowances on regional sites, most internships are voluntary. However, with a positive attitude and good working ethic, your voluntary internship may lead to a job opportunity down the track. In any case, an internship on a curriculum vitae reads motivated self-starter with experience, putting you a step above the competition.

Apply for Graduate Programs
Graduate programs are rife in the mining sector because they benefit all parties. For you, remuneration and on-the-job training opportunities are on offer, and for your employer, it means a skilled employee who can be trained to meet tailored expectation in their particular workplace.

Applications for most graduate programs open in February or March for commencement in the following year, offering selected final-year students immediate employment once they have completed their degree. The same programs are also on offer to graduates already commencing the job hunt, so if this is you, don’t hesitate to submit your application. After all, you never know how long you may be a jobseeker for.

To read more, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/our-blog/july/from-classroom-to-mine-site-graduates-in-resources.aspx

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Demand for Engineering Skills on the Rise in Australia
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 10:47:16 PM »
Posted: 6/12/2012 5:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Job-seekers, Mining, Oil-and-gas, Construction

We’ve reported before about the engineering skills shortage in Australia but a new paper from Engineers Australia https://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/  shows demand for engineers continues unabated. The Changes in the Australian Engineering Labour Market https://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/sites/default/files/shado/Representation/Policy_Notes/australia_2011.pdf  report release last week shows an increase of more than 30% 2006 and 2011.

“Australia’s engineering labour force (those employed directly in engineering work) increased by almost 60,000 engineers between 2006 and 2011,” said Stephen Durkin, Chief Executive Officer of Engineers Australia.

“The resources boom has clearly gained momentum between the last two censuses with the emergence of major energy, oil and gas projects. Western Australia and the Northern Territory led the charge, with demand for engineers expanding by a staggering 53.5 percent and 37.5 percent, respectively.

Engineering skills shortage widespread
While it’s easy to focus on engineering in the resources industry, far more engineers are employed in other sectors. In fact, mining ranks sixth on the list with about 13,500 engineers employed on mining projects. Top industries requiring engineering skills include:
•   Professional services - 60,654 engineers
•   Manufacturing - 41,114 engineers
•   Construction sector - 20,901 engineers

Skilled migration solution for engineering shortage
While Australian is graduating about 9,500 engineers every year, that’s still not enough to meet demand. Skilled migration makes a positive contribution to filling the engineering skills gap. Engineers from overseas made up 48% of the workforce in 2006 but climbed to nearly 54% by 2011.

“This latest paper confirms that engineers remain critical players in Australia’s ambitious nation building agenda. Engineers and engineering continue to make a huge contribution to our national economy, and these latest data draw attention to the scale of this ongoing contribution,” Mr Durkin said.

Have you thought about working in Australia as an engineer?
•   If you’re looking for engineering jobs in Australia http://www.miningoilandgasjobs.com/landingpage/10168/engineering-jobs-html/ , at make sure to visit the Mining Oil and Gas Jobs website.

To read more, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/Our-Blog/December-2012/Demand-for-Engineering-Skills-on-the-Rise-in-Austr.aspx .

Quote from: juan on July 09, 2013, 03:17:48 PM
Offering money/scholarships to a young talented Filipino woman to become an engineer in exchange for a night (or nights) with you for whatever absurd plans and crap that you're very desperate of  becoming my wife.
 :-* ;)

__________________________________________________________________________________________
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 11:02:43 PM by juan »

wardiflex

• OMG Fanaticz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 01:20:34 AM »
go lang ng go mga engineers....
kinsa tong mag pa pintal sa ilang balay etc., just inform me, naa koy kaila nga d best.09487352092

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 05:32:15 PM »
Siempre, sa umpisa, engineers ang kailangan to launch the projects. Once a mine (and there's myriad of them) is open, it will need dump truck drivers, drillers&blasters (like Felix&RJ ;D ;)), cooks, sex workers (hehe :D ;)), toilet cleaners, ... list goes on and on. ;)
Australian Mining 27 May, 2012 AMMA Mining Oil and Gas Jobs

You’ve heard the old saying, ‘It’s not what you know, it’s who you know’. [Zulacs, perhaps, when she's already there]
The prevailing opinion of many jobseekers struggling to break into the resource industry is you must know someone already working in mining to get a job.
While that may have been true in the past, things have changed dramatically in recent times.
The ‘no experience’ conundrum
The most frequently asked questions we receive at Mining Oil and Gas Jobs concern how to get that first job.
A candidate can't gain experience until given a chance, but nobody will employ an inexperienced candidate.
One way is through more apprenticeship and traineeship programs. Australian Mining reported on Rio Tinto’s plans to double their training programs.
Graduate programs have been boosted right through the industry and industry associations are working hard to meet the demand for more training.
While this is great news, it doesn’t address the immediate need for skilled workers.
Many mining companies are looking to complementary industries for their staffing needs.
Transferable skills
Julianne van Kessel, People & Culture Senior Advisor at OZ Minerals, is one hiring manager looking in new places.
“OZ Minerals employs many people from other industries and not just mining."
"With many of our support and trade roles we consider people from a manufacturing, construction or any heavy industry background.”
Another person supporting this change in staffing habits is Skye Britton, HR Administrator at ROCK Australia Mining + Civil.
“We take a lot of people who come from a general labour background whether it is civil, bricklayers, farm hands or factory workers."
“We generally need people who have an HR licence, forklift licence, working at heights, EWP (elevated work platform) and similar qualifications,” explains Ms. Britton.
“These kinds of people generally have the tickets or experience around the kind of machinery used in mining operations.”
Taking a different approach
Even with all the appropriate tickets and licences, many people struggle to get that first foot in the door.
One tactic that has worked for many jobseekers is to take a job that doesn’t require skilled training at all.
Kyla Jones, Site Director at Mining Oil and Gas Jobs advises the best way to get your start is to take a job many workers wouldn’t classify as a traditional ‘mining job’.
“Those types of roles are things like domestic cleaning with site services, gardeners, baggage handlers and bus drivers.” Ms. Jones continues, “You can earn around about $70,000 in a fly-in, fly-out situation.”
If this doesn’t sound like what you had in mind, the biggest benefit to these service jobs might well be getting to know people already in the industry.
“Once you’re in there, then there’s an opportunity to up-skill, retrain and get to know people,“ explains Ms. Jones.
The importance of persistence
Without a doubt, finding the first opportunity can be the hardest for someone wanting a mining career.
Persist in your job search and consider different avenues for entry.
Anyone with a positive mindset and a flexible attitude is going to be attractive to employers.

Would you consider taking an unskilled role just to break in to mining?
•   Make sure to subscribe to our blog http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/our-blog.aspx . We’re publishing new information every day about employment in the Australian resource industry.
•   If you’re looking for a job in mining, energy or oil and gas, make sure you visit our industry jobs board http://www.miningoilandgasjobs.com/ where we only advertise real jobs by real employers.

Sarap pakinggan. Pero ang totoo, mahirap ang trabaho sa mina. Malungkot din. It's not the world of glitz and glamour. Rather, it's a rugged world. :( ;)
You'll be working 12-hr shift in a remote area obscure in your labour. If a 6:1 stint, that's 6 wk on, 1 wk off. Being a FIFO with Philippines as home base, you'll be going home every wk-off. :D
Sugaton ka ni RG&Co sa airport, pakyao og plane to Baguio, check in a 7-star hotel and nightly gambling spree in the casino.
For the despidida on your last day, a gangbang party will be organized by FI Willy having Boholster Bar & Grill as the venue. A 16-yr-old Boholana stunner, the top of the range in Brew's collection, will be the Rino Kamiya. All your fantasies turned into awesome reality!!!!! ::) ::) ::)
Will be like this every sojourn. So that when your contract ends, wa lang gihapoy kuarta. Like Felix. ;D  ;)
Say to yourself, "So what? ??? I-renew ang contract". Not quite that easy. Mining has a cycle -- boom and bust. You were accepted 'coz boom time. Maabtan kag bust possible di na i-renew. :'( ;)
Unlike engineers, like Zulacs, as there's a dearth of them. Divert skills into exploration activities. 2/3 of WA is yet to be explored. Mining in Australia could very well go on into the next millennium.
If you don't have such skills, better be prepared for contingencies like bust.
Of course, best preparation is to save money for enrolling come bust. Invest in yourself. Acquire skills that will improve your worth next boom. Think that's what Felix is doing. :) ;)

wardiflex

• OMG Fanaticz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 06:12:28 PM »
asa kaha ko pwede ana bai Juan?
kinsa tong mag pa pintal sa ilang balay etc., just inform me, naa koy kaila nga d best.09487352092