Filipino super-typhoon an ominous warning of climate change impact

• 14 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Simon Tisdall guardian.co.uk, Sunday 17 February 2013 16.27 GMT

Philippines is having to adapt and adjust to rapidly deteriorating climatic trends at a great cost to its economy

When super-typhoon Bopha struck without warning before dawn, flattening the walls of their home, Maria Amparo Jenobiagon, her two daughters and her grandchildren ran for their lives

The storm on 4 December was the worst ever to hit the southern Philippines: torrential rain turned New Bataan's river into a raging flood. Roads were washed away and the bridge turned into an enormous dam. Tens of thousands of coconut trees crashed down in an instant as unbelievably powerful winds struck. The banana crop was destroyed in a flash – and with it the livelihoods of hundreds of farmers.

The only safe place the family could think of was the concrete grandstand at the village sports stadium. Two months later, Jenobiagon, 36, and her three-year-old granddaughter, Mary Aieshe, are still there, living in one of the improvised tents spanning its steep concrete tiers along with hundreds of other people.

"We were terrified. All we could hear was loud crashing. We didn't know what to do. So we came here," Jenobiagon said. "Everyone ran to the health centre but houses were being swept away and the water was neck deep. Everywhere we went was full of mud and water. We went to a school but it was flooded, so we came to the stadium."

Lorenzo Balbin, the mayor of New Bataan, said the fury of the storm was far beyond the experience of anyone living in Mindanao. It would take 10 years to replace the coconut crop, he said. Some villages in Compostela Valley may be too unsafe to live in.

Bopha, known locally as Pablo, broke records as well as hearts. At its height, it produced wind speeds of 160mph, gusting to 195mph. It was the world's deadliest typhoon in 2012, killing 1,067 people, with 800 left missing. More than 6.2 million people were affected; the cost of the damage may top $1bn. As a category 5 storm (the highest), Bopha was significantly more powerful than hurricane Katrina (category 3), which hit the US in 2005, and last year's heavily publicised hurricane Sandy (category 2).

With an estimated 216,000 houses destroyed or damaged, tens of thousands of people remain displaced, presenting a challenge for the government and aid agencies.

The lack of international media coverage of Bopha may in part be explained – though not excused – by western-centric news values, and in part by the high incidence of storms in the Pacific region.

The Philippines experiences an average of 20 typhoons a year (including three super-typhoons) plus numerous incidents of flooding, drought, earthquakes and tremors and occasional volcanic eruptions, making it one of the most naturally disaster-prone countries in the world.

But more disturbing than Bopha's size was the fact that it appeared to reflect rapidly deteriorating climatic trends.
The five most devastating typhoons recorded in the Philippines have occurred since 1990, affecting 23 million people. Four of the costliest typhoons anywhere occurred in same period, according to an Oxfam report. What is more, Bopha hit an area where typhoons are all but unknown.

The inter-governmental panel on climate change says mean temperatures in the Philippines are rising by 0.14C per decade. Since the 1980s, there has been an increase in annual mean rainfall. Yet two of the severest droughts ever recorded occurred in 1991-92 and 1997-98.

Scientists are also registering steadily rising sea levels around the Philippines, and a falling water table. All this appears to increase the likelihood and incidence of extreme weather events while adversely affecting food production and yields through land erosion and degradation, analysts say.

Mary Ann Lucille Sering, head of the Philippine government's climate change commission, is in no doubt her country faces a deepening crisis that it can ill afford, financially and in human terms. Typhoon-related costs in 2009, the year the commission was created, amounted to 2.9% of GDP, she said, and have been rising each year since then.

"Extreme weather is becoming more frequent, you could even call it the new normal," Sering said. "Last year one typhoon [Bopha] hurt us very much. If this continues we are looking at a big drain on resources." Human activity-related "slow onset impacts" included over-fishing, over-dependence on certain crops, over-extraction of ground water, and an expanding population (the Philippines has about 95 million people and a median age of 23).

"Altogether this could eventually lead to disaster," Sering said. Unlike countries such as Britain, where changing weather has a marginal impact on most people's lives, climate change in the Philippines was "like a war". Opinion surveys showed that Filipinos rated global warming as a bigger threat than rising food and fuel prices, she said.

Even given this level of awareness, Bopha presented an enormous test for emergency services. Oxfam workers in Davao City, working with the UN, local NGO partners, and the government's National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), quickly moved to the area to offer assistance. Oxfam has committed $2m in Bopha relief funds on top of its annual $4m Philippines budget. But the UN-co-ordinated Bopha Action Plan, which set an emergency funding target of $76m, has received only $27m so far.

The overall post-Bopha response has comprised three phases: immediate help, including the provision of shelter and clean water, sanitation and hygiene facilities; rebuilding and relocation; and mitigation and prevention measures.

"The first thing was to provide water bladders to the evacuation centre in New Bataan. We concentrated on providing emergency toilets and water systems," said Kevin Lee, response manager for the Humanitarian Response Consortium, a group of five local NGOs. "We had a 15-strong team from Oxfam and the HRC, digging holes and putting in plastic pipes. Next we started looking at emergency food and shelter.

"The devastation was worse than anything I have ever seen. Up to 90% of the coconut trees were just flattened. That's the local economy on the ground. And that's really difficult to fix quickly," Lee said. But his team's swift action had positive results, he added. There have been no water-borne diseases in New Bataan and no outbreak of cholera.

The consortium has now moved on to longer-term projects such as building a waste management plant, setting up markets at relocation sites, and working on disaster risk reduction programmes, so that when the next typhoon hits, local people may be better prepared.

The Lumbia resettlement project outside Cagayan de Oro, in northern Mindanao, provides an example of what can be achieved. Here, victims of tropical storm Washi, which swept through the area in 2011, killing 1,200 people and causing nearly $50m in damage, have been offered newly-built homes on land owned by the local university.

The Lumbia project's slogan is "build a community, not just homes", and it has gone down well with displaced villagers. "It's better here than before. It's more elevated, we don't have to worry about floods," said Alexie Colibano, a Lumbia resident. "Before we were living on an island in the river. Now we feel more secure."

About 15,000 Bopha victims remain in evacuation centres, including in the New Bataan stadium grandstand. In total, about 200,000 are still living with friends or relatives.

In Manila, meanwhile, Benito Ramos, the outgoing executive director of the NDRRMC, is busy planning for the next super-typhoon. "We are preparing for a national summit this month on how to prepare, including early warning, building codes, land use regulations, geo-hazard mapping, relocation and livelihoods," he said.

But the bigger issue is climate change, which posed an "existential threat" to the Philippines, Ramos said. "We are mainstreaming climate change in all government departments and policies. If we don't adapt and adjust, we all agree we are heading for disaster."

To read further, click http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/17/filipino-super-typhoon-climate-change
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Philippines typhoon forces 41,000 people to evacuate their homes
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 08:20:04 PM »
Associated Press in Manila guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 4 December 2012 05.04 GMT

Residents of vulnerable areas take shelter from typhoon Bopha, the 16th major storm system to hit the country this year.

The Philippines's strongest typhoon so far this year has forced more than 41,000 people from their homes as it pounds southern provinces – cutting power, suspending travel and flooding areas that are prone to landslides.

More than 41,000 people evacuated high-risk coastal villages and along rivers, including in areas that were devastated by a deadly storm a year ago.

President Benigno Aquino III made a national TV appeal for people in typhoon Bopha's path to move to safety and take storm warnings seriously.

Aquino said army troops had deployed search and rescue boats in advance. Authorities ordered small boats and ferries not to venture out along the country's eastern coastline, warning of rough seas and torrential rain and wind that could whip up four-metre waves.

Government forecaster Jori Loiz said Bopha, the strongest typhoon to hit the country this year, had weakened since it made landfall in Davao Oriental province early on Tuesday but winds remained at 99mph (160km/h) with gusts of up to 121mph.

The civil defence chief, Benito Ramos, said officials were checking for casualties or damage from a landslide on a mountainside village in Compostela Valley province. They were also working to verify unconfirmed casualty reports from Southern Leyte and Davao Oriental provinces. Power was cut off in several municipalities in southern Surigao del Sur, Surigao del Norte and Davao Oriental provinces after parts of Agusan del Sur province flooded.

Bopha's rain front, 373 miles wide, is expected to be out of Philippine territory by Friday.

Bopha, its name taken from the Cambodian word for flower or a girl, is the 16th big storm system to hit the Philippines this year. The country usually has about 20 typhoons and major storms a year.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Filipino super-typhoon an ominous warning of climate change impact
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 08:30:16 PM »
Yes, indeed! It's poor countries like Philippines that's bearing the brunt of climate change impact. :(
Rich countries must give massive reparations.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 08:48:15 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 06:36:37 PM »
One way to reparate is, when recruiting foreign labour, giving preferences to poor countries like Philippines instead of rich countries like USA. :) ;)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:39:05 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 05:57:40 PM »
pag pray pod Juan..
Pray for what? For mannas from heaven to continually rain down on the Philippines so o/s Pinoys like us won't be sending remittances anymore?
While still working in Koolan Island mine, kitchen personnel mainly consists of Yugoslav hardknocks. Like Philippines, Yugoslavia is a 3rd world country. Poorly educated. Ang ilang English tipsing2X lang. Rather than sending home remittances, bought properties in Perth for investments. Said, "If they want money, they come to Australia".

Calamities have always been a part of life in the Philippines since time immemorial. With climate change the situation will only aggravate. It's a worldwide problem. Will get worse before it gets better.
Simon Tisdall guardian.co.uk, Sunday 17 February 2013 16.27 GMT
 But the bigger issue is climate change, which posed an "existential threat" to the Philippines, Ramos said. "We are mainstreaming climate change in all government departments and policies. If we don't adapt and adjust, we all agree we are heading for disaster."

To read further, click http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/17/filipino-super-typhoon-climate-change

As mentioned elsewhere, mankind is racing against time to save planet earth. Compounding the problem is the aging population of engineers and scientists required to tackle the problem. Yes, indeed! The world has a dearth of them.

So, if you're saying pray for no more calamities in the Philippines, forget it. Time and time again, it's gonna recur. Accept reality. ;)

Instead, pray that the Philippines will have adequate resources to confront future calamities. :) ;)

Rappler by Dean Antonio La Vina and Dr. Kristoffer Berse Posted on 10/20/2013 5:08 PM  | Updated 10/21/2013 1:30 PM

Rappler by Dean Antonio La Vina and Dr. Kristoffer Berse Posted on 10/20/2013 5:08 PM  | Updated 10/21/2013 1:30 PM
In the end, it is up to all Boholanos kababayans back home to own or not a new path of development, one that will keep them, their loved ones and their investments safe from the ravages of nature. – Rappler.com

Quote from: juan on October 18, 2013, 12:36:05 PM
Be proactive! Forego crab mentality! Synergize!
 :) ;)
If kababayans back home don't safeguard themselves against calamities, they have nobody else but themselves to blame for their plight when it occurs.
No different from having sex. If a bloke doesn't use condom, he has nobody else but himself to blame should he contract HIV. :D ;)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 06:31:56 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
Death count could reach 10,000 people after Typhoon Haiyan slams into the Central Philippines: officials

About 4 million residents have been affected by the category 5 storm, with 800,000 forced to abandon their homes. More than 1,000 bodies were seen floating in the flooded remains of the city of Tacloban after the typhoon hit, Red Cross officials said.

BY LARRY MCSHANE / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS 17 MINUTES AGO
PUBLISHED: SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2013, 8:45 AM
UPDATED: SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2013, 8:39 PM

The Philippines death toll could reach 10,000 Sunday, officials said after a brutally powerful typhoon with 170 mph winds and a tree-high storm surge reduced one major city to rubble.

Officials are continuing to count the growing number of dead from Typhoon Haiyan, which cut a devastating path of horror through a half-dozen islands in the Central Philippines.

Regional police chief Elmer Soria said he was briefed by Leyte provincial Gov. Dominic Petilla late Saturday and told there were about 10,000 deaths on the island, mostly by drowning and from collapsed buildings. The governor's figure was based on reports from village officials in areas where Typhoon Haiyan slammed Friday.

Tacloban city administrator Tecson Lim said that the death toll in the city alone "could go up to 10,000."

“This is destruction on a massive scale,” said Sebastian Stampa, head of the U.N. Disaster Assessment Coordination Team, after arriving in the country. “The cars are thrown around like tumbleweeds, and the streets are strewn with debris.”

The city of Tacloban was left in ruins by Friday’s typhoon, one of the strongest to ever make landfall. More than 1,000 bodies were seen floating in the city’s flooded remains, said Gwendolyn Pang, secretary general of the Philippine Red Cross.

Another 200 deaths were reported on the island of Samar, she said. The whipping winds and crashing waves washed away many seaside homes, while other scores of other buildings were leveled by the so-called “super typhoon.”

One heart-rending image from the region showed a man carrying the drowned body of his 6-year-old daughter.

On the island of Busuanga, one official said the majority of the structures were wiped out by the storm.

Officials said about 4 million residents were affected by the category 5 typhoon, with 800,000 forced to abandon their homes.
The sustained winds of 147 mph — with gusts about 30 mph higher — “was like a 747 flying just above my roof,” said Jim Pe, vice mayor of the town of Coron on Busuanga.

The 200,000 residents of Tacloban were stuck without electricity, water and phone service as officials scrambled to assess the full extent of the carnage.

“We expect a very high number of fatalities as well as injured,” conceded Filipino Interior Secretary Max Roxas. “The devastation is — I don’t have words for it. It’s really horrific. It’s a great human tragedy.”

The airport at Tacloban, on the hardest-hit Leyte Island, resembled a muddy junk yard with overturned cars, shattered windows and twisted tin roofs.

Tacloban resident Sandy Torotoro, 44, said the storm surge swept away a Jeep where he sought protection from the pounding typhoon.

“The water was as high as a coconut tree,” he said. “I got out of the Jeep and I was swept away by the rampaging water, (along) with logs, trees and our house.”

The married father of an 8-year-old daughter recounted the nightmarish scene as the city streets turned into raging rivers.
“When we were being swept by the water, many people were floating and raising their hands and yelling for help,” he said. “But what can we do? We also needed to be helped.”

Secretary of State John Kerry issued a statement promising that the United States “stands ready to help” — but the massive damage was already complicating relief efforts.

The typhoon weakened Sunday as it approached central and northern Vietnam where authorities evacuated more than 500,000 people.

"The rescue operation is ongoing. We expect a very high number of fatalities as well as injured," Interior Secretary Mar Roxas said after visiting Tacloban on Saturday. "All systems, all vestiges of modern living - communications, power, water - all are down. Media is down, so there is no way to communicate with the people in a mass sort of way."With News Wire Services

To view photos and watch videos, click http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/typhoon-haiyan-kills-1-200-philippines-report-article-1.1511577

j

juan

• View Profile
So Heartbreaking!!!!!
 :(
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 06:21:14 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 06:37:04 PM »
One way to reparate is, when recruiting foreign labour, giving preferences to poor countries like Philippines instead of rich countries like USA. :) ;)
A win/win scenario actually. Contributes to both Australian and Philippine economy.
The onus is on the Philippine government to take the initiative of opening up diplomatic talks with the Australian government. :) ;)

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 11:28:15 AM »
Death count could reach 10,000 people after Typhoon Haiyan slams into the Central Philippines: officials

About 4 million residents have been affected by the category 5 storm, with 800,000 forced to abandon their homes. More than 1,000 bodies were seen floating in the flooded remains of the city of Tacloban after the typhoon hit, Red Cross officials said.

BY LARRY MCSHANE / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS 17 MINUTES AGO
PUBLISHED: SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2013, 8:45 AM
UPDATED: SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2013, 8:39 PM

The Philippines death toll could reach 10,000 Sunday, officials said after a brutally powerful typhoon with 170 mph winds and a tree-high storm surge reduced one major city to rubble.

Officials are continuing to count the growing number of dead from Typhoon Haiyan, which cut a devastating path of horror through a half-dozen islands in the Central Philippines.

Regional police chief Elmer Soria said he was briefed by Leyte provincial Gov. Dominic Petilla late Saturday and told there were about 10,000 deaths on the island, mostly by drowning and from collapsed buildings. The governor's figure was based on reports from village officials in areas where Typhoon Haiyan slammed Friday.

Tacloban city administrator Tecson Lim said that the death toll in the city alone "could go up to 10,000."

“This is destruction on a massive scale,” said Sebastian Stampa, head of the U.N. Disaster Assessment Coordination Team, after arriving in the country. “The cars are thrown around like tumbleweeds, and the streets are strewn with debris.”

The city of Tacloban was left in ruins by Friday’s typhoon, one of the strongest to ever make landfall. More than 1,000 bodies were seen floating in the city’s flooded remains, said Gwendolyn Pang, secretary general of the Philippine Red Cross.

Another 200 deaths were reported on the island of Samar, she said. The whipping winds and crashing waves washed away many seaside homes, while other scores of other buildings were leveled by the so-called “super typhoon.”

One heart-rending image from the region showed a man carrying the drowned body of his 6-year-old daughter.

On the island of Busuanga, one official said the majority of the structures were wiped out by the storm.

Officials said about 4 million residents were affected by the category 5 typhoon, with 800,000 forced to abandon their homes.
The sustained winds of 147 mph — with gusts about 30 mph higher — “was like a 747 flying just above my roof,” said Jim Pe, vice mayor of the town of Coron on Busuanga.

The 200,000 residents of Tacloban were stuck without electricity, water and phone service as officials scrambled to assess the full extent of the carnage.

“We expect a very high number of fatalities as well as injured,” conceded Filipino Interior Secretary Max Roxas. “The devastation is — I don’t have words for it. It’s really horrific. It’s a great human tragedy.”

The airport at Tacloban, on the hardest-hit Leyte Island, resembled a muddy junk yard with overturned cars, shattered windows and twisted tin roofs.

Tacloban resident Sandy Torotoro, 44, said the storm surge swept away a Jeep where he sought protection from the pounding typhoon.

“The water was as high as a coconut tree,” he said. “I got out of the Jeep and I was swept away by the rampaging water, (along) with logs, trees and our house.”

The married father of an 8-year-old daughter recounted the nightmarish scene as the city streets turned into raging rivers.
“When we were being swept by the water, many people were floating and raising their hands and yelling for help,” he said. “But what can we do? We also needed to be helped.”

Secretary of State John Kerry issued a statement promising that the United States “stands ready to help” — but the massive damage was already complicating relief efforts.

The typhoon weakened Sunday as it approached central and northern Vietnam where authorities evacuated more than 500,000 people.

"The rescue operation is ongoing. We expect a very high number of fatalities as well as injured," Interior Secretary Mar Roxas said after visiting Tacloban on Saturday. "All systems, all vestiges of modern living - communications, power, water - all are down. Media is down, so there is no way to communicate with the people in a mass sort of way."With News Wire Services

To view photos and watch videos, click http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/typhoon-haiyan-kills-1-200-philippines-report-article-1.1511577
How many fatalities next time? ???
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:30:12 AM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 11:32:35 AM »
When will they ever learn? ???