• 1 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Miners see Coalition as 'last hope'
« on: March 11, 2013, 06:42:42 PM »
Business Spectator 8 hours ago

Complaining that the Labor government is “moving further to the left” on industrial relations, the mining sector has declared the coalition as the business community's “last hope” to achieve its goal on workplace reforms, according to The Australian.
The Australian Mines and Metals Association (AMMA) has called on coalition leader Tony Abbott to commit to reforms to the Fair Work Act that would allow employers to reach four-year non-union deals with employees that ban strikes.

The organisation has written a letter to both Prime Minister Julia Gillard and Mr Abbott calling on both parties to support AMMA's agenda for workplace reforms.

The letter said existing legislation will not allow Australia to remain a “competitive destination for investment and job creation”, and AMMA chief executive Steve Knott went further in suggesting that the mining sector has given up on Ms Gillard and turned their focus instead to the Coalition to achieve their workplace law reform goals.
“The coalition is business's last hope to start to restore some balance,” he told The Australian.

Mr Knott said that the coalition should allow individual flexibility agreements to run for up to four years and be a condition of a worker accepting a job, while abolishing the provision that allows such arrangements to be terminated with 28 days' notice.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:05:36 PM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Re: Miners see Coalition as 'last hope'
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 06:45:56 PM »
Federal election is on 14 September 2013. Hope Tony Abbott wins. This would be good news for fellow Filipinos back home. :) ;)
You didn't get the picture, mate.
Nothing new. Common power play in the Australian political arena.
Australia is a politically stable country. Won't lead to civil war. Hanggang war of words lang. Worst case scenario, magkaroon ng election.
Currently, the ruling party is the Labour Party. As such, its policies are more favourable for the labour unions. Make them more powerful. Can demand higher wages. Drive the smaller mines to shut down. And larger mines to retrench workers. Impact is minimal. Mines are over-employed. As what happened 30 years ago, one mine halved its workforce. Production doubled.  ;D ;) Yep, that's what makes Australia a great country to live in. Hehehe. :) ;)
Now, should an election happen and the Coalition Party wins, businessmen will be advantaged. Mining companies will have more freedom to import cheap ??? foreign labour.
One advantage Australia has over other countries like Africa or Brazil is its proximity to the market. E.g., takes 38 extra days for China to get ore from Brazil. These extra days cost extra money.
Another thing. China is not the only buyer for Australian ore. There's also India, Japan, South Korea, etc.
So, lodge your resumes. And keep fine-tuning them. There's always room for improvement. The bottom line is Australia desperately needs workers. More than 2/3 of WA is yet to be explored.
More likely, the powers-that-be will come to a compromise without having to go through an election. Election costs taxpayer money.
:) ;)

And speaking of importing cheap foreign labour,
Not only Aussie labour is very expensive, it is also vey scarce. Australia has to import foreign labour.
Cheap foreign labour undermines Australia's pride http://www.mikeygatal.com/connect/index.php?topic=14881.0
So, to compete with US, Aussie labour wage must be at par with US labour wage. Envisaged it’s gonna be like this in the long run. Because of Australia’s proximity to Philippines, more advantageous for the Filipino to work here as FIFO and go back home during roster-out as he’ll be spending in peso. But he’s got to manage to hide from friends and relatives whenever he’s home. http://www.mikeygatal.com/connect/index.php?topic=15029.msg543961#msg543961 Hehehe
:) ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:12:41 PM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.