• 5 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Bottom of boom has not been mined yet
« on: June 30, 2013, 11:03:26 PM »
by: Paul Bloxham From: The Australian July 01, 2013 12:00AM

DOOMSAYERS predict that Australia's mining boom will be followed by a bust. Some have even suggested that the end of the boom could see Australia's overall living standards fall or cause a recession.

While a recession can never be ruled out, the end of the mining investment boom is unlikely to play out this way. Indeed, it seems rather perverse to think that, after investing in significant capacity to produce commodities in great demand by the rest of the world, such as iron ore, coal and liquefied natural gas, we would suffer a recession just as that capacity comes on line.

It is not as though Australia's growth in recent years has been driven by a binge of credit-fuelled consumer overindulgence or by firms hopped up on leverage. Indeed, there have been few signs of "irrational exuberance" in the broader economy. Activity in much of the economy has been crowded out by the mining expansion, and inflation and wage growth have been low outside the mining sector.

Growth has largely been driven by multinationals building capacity to produce iron ore, coal and LNG for emerging Asia. This is hardly the typical recipe for economic weakness - unless, of course, too much capacity has been built - but we are of the view that this also seems unlikely.

True, Asia's growth is slowing and so is China's. But these economies are still expected to grow at impressive rates compared with the West. These economies are also much larger than they used to be, so an increment of growth is a much bigger deal for the global economy than before.

More importantly, these economies are still at the commodity-intensive stage of their development. For every increment in new economic activity, the amount of commodities required to drive that growth will rise. Unlike in the West, where the services sectors dominate growth, these economies are still urbanising and industrialising and so need to keep building infrastructure. Our own estimates suggest that as a country moves from low income levels of about $US3000 a person to upper middle income levels of about $US20,000, its demand for commodities accelerates as more housing, buildings, bridges and subway systems are needed.

Back in the 1980s and 90s only 20 per cent of global output came from countries in this income range. Now, over 40 per cent of global output comes from countries that are at the commodity-intensive stage of their development. Indeed, global growth is dominated by these countries.

Even China still has a long way to go. Its urbanisation rate is still only 52 per cent, compared with about 75 per cent in the US.
In China, 18 million people move from rural areas to the cities every year and more infrastructure is needed to meet this demand. The Reserve Bank of Australia estimates that demand for iron ore will not peak until 2020 on the basis of the expected growth in China's housing demand alone.

The story extends beyond China to across the Asian region. Recent work by my HSBC colleague Ronald Man shows that $US11 trillion (70 per cent of the US economy) needs to be spent on urban infrastructure in Asia by 2030 as 650 million people are expected to move to the cities. Countries where a lot of building needs to be done include India, Indonesia and The Philippines. This is positive for Australia's medium-term prospects.

It is also important to keep in mind that three-quarters of the investment in Australia in recent years has been in capacity to produce LNG. The Australian government projects that LNG exports will rise about 400 per cent over the next five years. Quite simply, Australia's resources story is not just about Asia's roads, buildings and bridges, but also about how much people will use toasters, refrigerators and televisions. Australia is set to become a huge exporter of gas. Consumption patterns in Asia are already changing rapidly as the middle classes expand and as this happens energy demand will rise.

Another concern of the doomsayers is that the global supply of these commodities will increase so there could be a glut, which might force down global prices and reduce incomes in Australia. But we are also fairly well placed on this front. Australia is a low-cost producer of a range of commodities, which should ensure that even if commodity prices fall, export volumes will still rise strongly. Australian mining operations should continue to be profitable, even if less so than when commodity prices were higher. This is particularly the case for iron ore and also holds for the bulk of Australia's coalmines.

For LNG, the story is even more secure because the gas from the capacity expansion is largely forward sold on long-term contracts. This should mean that the next stage of Australia's mining story is more predictable.

While it seems fashionable to be pessimistic about Australia's growth prospects, we remain cautiously optimistic. Though Asia's growth is slowing, it is still expected to significantly outpace the western economies. Being strongly tied to Asia has helped Australia's economy in recent years and we see no reason why this should change.

Paul Bloxham is chief economist at HSBC Australia.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 12:11:17 AM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Bottom of boom has not been mined yet
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 12:14:14 AM »
Yes, the Philippines. A lot of building needs to be done. Wish I were half my age. Would go back home. Start my own construction business.
That was my plan. Live in Australia 5 years max. Accepted mining job to earn big money fast. Namuti na lang ning akong bol2X naa pa ghapon ko dinhi. ;D
Wishful thinking. :)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 01:02:37 AM by juan »

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
The Benefits of a Thriving Mining Industry
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 10:23:16 PM »
Posted: 18/07/2013 5:00:00 AM by Jessica Jaffe
Filed under: Mining

Mining is an industry which continues to wane in some developed nations and boom in emerging economies. Australia is one of the few developed nations which continue to have a large mining economy. There are lots of small and larger mining companies around the country – and there are numerous career opportunities, whether it be engineer jobs or drill and blast jobs.

However, beyond providing mining jobs to the local population, there are a number of far-reaching benefits that the mining industry can bring to developing economies and to their own national revenue.

Having an Impact on Foreign Direct Investment (FDI)
The gold mining industry in Tanzania is a prime example of how gold mining, in particular, has made a significant contribution to the country's ranking on FDI. Before there was a large-scale gold mining across the country, Tanzania appeared at the bottom of a list of African countries receiving FDI. However, in current years, Tanzania jumped to the upper-middle rankings, with over USD$2billion.

In Australia, AusAID aims to support developing countries to maximise the economic benefit from their extractives sector. Investment in mining is a major part of this initiative. Over the past three years, Australia has invested $105 million in Mining for Development around the world.

Worker Welfare
In terms of valuing a mining company (whether for a job position or hire), worker welfare is an important aspect. Mining companies placing a high value on its workers are far more likely to win awards and industry recognition. This, in turn, attracts the best in the business.

It's an industry that operates all 24 hours a day, every day of the week. However, the average miner earns above average wages and many mining construction companies http://www.ausenco.com/  are working on ways to create a more "home away from home" feeling for their workers. Some mine sites over the past 10 years have been building and developing an environment that brings a more comforting and fun atmosphere to the mine sites. This includes building movie theatres, hosting yoga classes, and organizing other fun activities.

Exploration
There are only so many ore deposits remaining in Australia. It’s why underwater mining has become the hot topic of discussion in the mining trade. To keep shareholders happy and the mines operating, the management structure of a company must be capable of raising capital and conducting exploration projects.

A prime example is the Greenfield 43 exploration project. Ambition is one of the keys to a good mining company. It has to continue innovating and finding new sites to maintain and increase its value.

To read more, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/our-blog/july/the-benefits-of-a-thriving-mining-industry.aspx

j

juan

• View Profile
Mining boom still going strong say top CEOs
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 07:03:24 PM »
Posted: 15/10/2013 9:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Oil-and-gas, Mining

There appears to be yet more boom for your buck in the Australian mining industry. Corporate leaders from all over the country are showing confidence that the economy will once again feel the force of a mining boom.

Higher production rates for iron ore and LNG will soon come into force, leading to an inevitable boost across the board. This is contingent on governmental support on improving productivity, particularly in ensuing that the $260bn capital expenditure phase in iron ore and LNG expansion stays on schedule. “It’s not over, most of the capital still has to be sent in order to deliver these big projects,” said Origin chief executive Grant King. “It’s critical we have a productivity environment that allows these projects to be delivered,”

King, who has been driving development of CSG to LNG in Gladstone, Queensland, also went on to say that at least half of the existing finance has yet to be allocated “…and when it’s turned into revenue and that’s still to come, so the revenue hasn’t even started.”

The optimism has even spread to non-mining CEs, including Ted Pretty, the CE of manufacturer Hill Holdings, who was quoted as saying that the boom is still here, it’s simply moved into a different phase, one that would continue to see expansion.

Other areas of the mining industry, such as iron ore, would continue to see demand from existing markets in the Americas and China. Commodity prices have also risen sharply. Iron ore has improved nearly 60% a tonne since the same time last year, with increasing volumes being fuelled by expansion projects coming to completion.

Graeme Hunt, new managing director of Transfield’s, also predicts an uptake for exploration equipment. “The volume of production of resources has no dropped; it is the rate of growth that has slowed down.” he said, adding that as existing resources are depleted, the requirement for resource exploration will rise again as new sites are sought out.

Australia has a wealth of natural resources which could be the key to sustaining the economy, providing increasing numbers of mining, oil and gas jobs and boosting local infrastructures – but only with the right investment.

To read more, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/our-blog/october-2013/mining-boom-still-going-strong-say-top-ceos.aspx

j

juan

• View Profile
LNG projects drive multibillion-dollar growth in Queensland
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 08:47:16 PM »
The Australian Oil & Gas Review Thursday, October 17, 2013

AS job cuts hamper the Australian mining sector, Queensland’s CSG-LNG industry has hit an employment high of 30,000 workers.

LNG companies developing the state’s multiple CSG to LNG projects have injected more than $20 billion into businesses across Queensland.

Speaking at the opening of Arrow Energy’s new headquarters in Brisbane last month, Queensland deputy Premier and state Development, Infrastructure and Planning minister Jeff Seeney said the figures were positive, as the state’s CSG to LNG projects moved from concept to delivery.

“The three Queensland LNG plants on Curtis Island are world firsts for converting coal seam gas to liquefied natural gas for export, and at a time of global uncertainty, this industry has been the driving force behind growth in our great state,” Mr Seeney said.

Arrow Energy, which is looking to build a fourth LNG plant on Curtis Island offshore Gladstone, has provided more than 1250 jobs and engaged about 2000 contractors through its domestic gas and power generation and its CSG to LNG aspirations. Mr Seeney said that more than $60 billion of investment was flowing throughout the state and transforming regional communities.

“For example, QGC and its contractors currently employ 11,600 people and since January 2010 [the company] has spent $12 billion in Australia; of this, $9.6 billion was spent here in Queensland,” he said.
A BG Group business, QGC has been constructing the Queensland Curtis LNG project since 2010, with first LNG expected next year.

Similarly, Mr Seeney said that the Australia Pacific LNG (APLNG) project – a joint venture between Origin Energy ConocoPhillips and Sinopec – had a total of 10,100 direct and indirect employees as at the end of April this year.
“APLNG has estimated that at last December its global spend was $10 billion, with around $6.9 billion spent in Queensland,” he said.

“[Furthermore], Santos’ Gladstone LNG project has created in the order of 6800 jobs, and has spent $6 billion in Australia, of which $4 billion was in Queensland.”

Mr Seeney added that the CSG-LNG industry was building a highly skilled workforce that had proven to deliver on large resources projects.

“The expertise of these workers will provide newly honed skills that can transfer to other major developments in Queensland in the future,” he said.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:53:43 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
Exports push Australia at the top of its mining boom peak
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 07:49:31 PM »
Posted: 17/12/2013 9:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Mining, Oil-and-gas, Job-seekers

The Australian trade and commerce industry was given a new lease of life when the country’s export of iron ore and other metals rose by 11% in March this year. In money terms, $2.2 billion was grossed in exports while imports plummeted by $1.1 billion thereby creating $367 million surplus up from a $5.2 billion deficit in December 2012, as reported by the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

This news was welcomed by economists with open arms as some trade analysts had written off the mining boom and predicted its slow and impending death.

Industry insiders say that the mining trade may not be at the height it was two years ago, but it has not plunged dramatically. The evidence lies in the way the dollar has doubled and is back at US92c.

It’s vital to understand what has marked this upsurge and what the future of mining looks like from this point on.

It would be fair to say that towards the latter part of this year, many European economies revived and pulled themselves out of the five-year long recession. Undoubtedly, the US economy improved and, thankfully, the Australian dollar has held up for the right reasons, which allows the Reserve bank to breathe a sigh of relief.

The commodity prices have picked up again and are steady as they should be. In this scenario, Australia is mining more and therefore exporting more.

The more mining projects arise in Australia, the more demand it will create for a mining workforce. Currently, there is a still a lot banking on the resources industry in Australia; it’s the right time to get into it and make the most of what the industry has to offer.

To read more, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/our-blog/december-2013-(1)/exports-push-australia-at-the-top-of-its-mining-bo.aspx