j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Staying Healthy When Working Mining Jobs in Australia
« on: November 04, 2013, 05:23:08 PM »
Posted: 1/11/2013 10:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Oil-and-gas

With the mining boom going on in Australia, there are many positives. Mining jobs in Australia are thriving. The overall economy is doing well and many citizens have legitimate pay rates that help them support their families. The aura surrounding mining in Australia is positive because people realize that during this time of global economic fluctuation, this type of consistent stability within an industry is undoubtedly good for the nation.

The crazy thing is that the oil and gas industry doesn’t appear to be going anywhere. There are always new projects http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/our-blog/september/more-oil-and-gas-investment-for-western-australia.aspx , funding plans and initiatives popping up to continue stoking the already blazing fire that is the mining industry.

Beneath all of the success and economic fruition, however, there are some issues that often get overlooked. Although miners are surely compensated at a reasonable level, they’re often compromised in other ways. The demanding schedule, exposure to danger and time apart from family all create a perfect storm for unhealthy imbalance.

The humans physically carrying out the operations put a lot on the table, regardless of compensation, and it’s important that they utilize available resources to stay healthy and safe within the occupation. Part of doing that is for the individual miner to do their part and understand the risks associated with their employment, and specific ways they can keep themselves in a good place mentally and physically.

Below are certain approaches that any miner reading this can use to reassess their employment situation and make sure that they are putting themselves in the best possible place when mental health and physical wellbeing are considered. While each and every miner is different, the principles of each can be applied universally across the industry.

Sleep
The mining industry runs 24 hours a day and doesn’t take breaks. It also doesn’t provide much rest for those working on the operation. Whether you have an electrical engineering job, or you’re a quantity surveyor; its hard work. It’s a tiring process, and for the miners in the mines, sleep is never really sleep. Many miners work a lump roster like 7 days on and 7 days off. Sometimes less, sometimes more. This roster doesn’t cater to a natural sleep cycle.

This problem is additionally concerning because oftentimes people working in the mines will be so ready to hit the pub or stay out when they finally get off that they head back in tired at the end of their break. This really drains people mentally and physically, and can snowball into legitimate health issues and concerns. If you or someone you know might be lacking sleep due to mine work, it’s best to notice it early on and act earlier than later.

Family time
Many miners and people in the industry make enough money to support their family. However, many of us that have a family understand that financial support is just a small fraction of the situation. Physical, mental and emotional support is necessary to retain the family camaraderie needed to live a quality life at home. Miners need to make sure they are spending enough time at home and with family when they aren’t at work. It will be maintain both their psyche and their family’s mindset about the job.

Nutrition
Just as the sleep routines are abnormal in the mining industry, so are the eating patterns. Getting a feed every 10 hours can keep someone alive and well, but it’s the principle of the matter. Mining jobs are tough. Whether we’re talking about the physical ones down in the actual mine shafts of long hour office jobs, nutrition should be a serious focus of any worker.

It’s important to not only eat a well-rounded diet, but also to stay hydrated throughout a stretch of work days. Not only will this make your working days more enjoyable, but it will help keep you healthy for your time off and holiday periods.

Alone time
While it’s not the case for everyone, working in the mines can be a bit claustrophobic both mentally and physically. There are so many operations, processes and people around that it just seems like a revolving chain of endless work. Furthermore, when miners get out for a week off, they feel obligated to scramble around and see everyone they know in a small amount of time. This can lead to severe fatigue and a sense of being overwhelmed. It’s critical for miners and other people in the industry to understand that alone time is very necessary.

It’s crucial to spend time alone and read a book or participate in a relaxing hobby that you enjoy; something that makes you feel good and relax. Nothing is better than a clear mind.

Mining is stimulating the Australian economy in ways no other industry is right now. It’s always good to remind the workers in the profession that they need to keep their health and safety a high priority. If not, the workers within the mining boom across Australia will have a tougher time surviving.

To read more, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/our-blog/november-2013/staying-healthy-when-working-mining-jobs-in-austra.aspx
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.