• 12 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Almost two Sydney women a week are converting to Islam
« on: January 18, 2014, 05:21:09 PM »
by: Ben McClellan From: The Sunday Telegraph January 18, 2014 10:00PM

MORE THAN 100 people - most of them women - are converting to Islam in Sydney each year, and ¬experts warn some new converts are more likely to adopt extremist elements of the religion.

Such radicalism was highlighted by the death last week in Syria of former Queensland Anglican schoolgirl turned Muslim jihadist Amira Karroum, 22, who is believed to have been killed by rebel fighters in Aleppo alongside her US-born husband Yusuf Ali.

Ms Karroum had adopted an extremist form of the faith, praising terrorist Osama bin Laden and supporting the ¬violent Muslim riots in Sydney in 2012.

The pair were based in Granville before travelling to Syria to fight in December.
Another Granville man, Caner Temel, 22, has been named as the latest Australian victim of the civil war in Syria.

The Australian New Muslim Association estimates two-thirds of the converts they see each year are female, with more than 60 per cent converting because of their husbands or partners.

Julia Moukhallalati was just 18 when she swapped her Orthodox Christian upbringing for the mosques of western Sydney.
Soon after, Mrs Moukhallalati, 22, converted to Sunni Islam. She met her Lebanese-Australian husband Raed while asking about halal meat in a restaurant. They married just three months later and live in a granny flat behind her in-laws.

Mrs Moukhallalati, originally from Sutherland Shire, said her relationship with her family was still a "work in progress".

"My parents pushed me to be Orthodox but they never had answers to my questions," she said, adding she had always been fascinated with Islam and believed it put women on a pedestal, rather than oppressing them.

"As soon as I started studying it I knew I had to be a part of it," she said. "I loved how a woman was treated. She is treated like a rare diamond, she is honoured in the family."

Mrs Moukhallalati said ¬although she believed it was her duty to spread the word of Islam, she didn't agree with travelling overseas to fight.

"It's pretty sad. There are some Muslims who are extreme, but I believe in moderation," she said.

"It's the best thing I have done, but make sure they (converts) go to the right source. A lot of information on the internet could not really be what Islam teaches.

"You want to learn the truth as Islam is, not how some people portray it to be."

Mrs Moukhallalati said she did not feel obligated to wear the face-covering niqab but did wear a headscarf.
"I put in more pride and effort with the scarf on.

"Now that I'm scarfed I feel more beautiful," she said.

Australian Muslim Women's Association head Silma Ihram converted from Christianity during a trip to Indonesia in 1976 at 24.
She said converts were sometimes guided by more extreme interpretations.

That meant they fell out with their families and were susceptible to radical elements., she said.

"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Almost two Sydney women a week are converting to Islam
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 05:40:02 PM »
Yes, pedestal.
Something's wrong with this pic.
One of them is a goddess. The others are mere mortals. Should have been placed high upon a pedestal. For others to worship and adore. Needless for me to point who.
My idol is the goddess. :) ;) :D

_____
"You put me high upon the pedestal,
So high that I could almost see eternity,
You needed me, you needed me."
- from the song 'You Needed Me'

Bait ra diay sya. Gihimo lang du-anan. Mao nai tinuho-ang Kristyano? ??? :-[
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:41:51 PM by juan »

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 05:50:56 PM »
"When I saw corruption, I was forced to find truth on my own. I couldn't swallow the hypocrisy."
(Barry White)
 :-[ :)

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 05:57:58 PM »
"The point is that there is tremendous hypocrisy among the Christian right.
 And I think that Christian voters should start looking at global warming and extreme poverty as a religious issue that speaks to the culture of life."
(Al Franken)
 :)

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 05:29:16 PM »
Sana maulit muli...
Can't help comparing you with B&M here. Like you, she's working in the middle east. Both of you would be leading parallel lives -- downtrodden. :(

Once had haircut by a Lebanese barber. Born and raised in Kuwait by Muslim migrant workers. Chance of becoming Kuwaiti citizen is nil. As such, treatment was no different from OFW. In that sense, Muslims are no different from Christians. :-[

Why US is merely turning a blind eye? Oil. :)

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 04:51:39 AM »
Wish I could find someone like this lady jihad martyr. She made the ultimate sacrifice to be re-united with her lover. :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:57:25 AM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
Sydney jihadi bride’s death cult boast about desire to become a martyr
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 07:08:37 PM »
ASHLEE MULLANY THE DAILY TELEGRAPH DECEMBER 23, 2014 12:00AM

A SYDNEY woman who left her family to join the Islamic State as a jihadi bride in Syria has boasted about her love for the death cult and her desire to become a martyr “for the sake of Allah”.

Hafsa Mohamed, 20, and her friend Hodan Abby, 18, left Sydney earlier this month — the first Australian women to travel independently to the conflict zone.
In the months before they left for Syria, Hafsa, a former childcare worker from Lakemba, posted an IS propaganda video, saying jihad was a “fundamental part of Islam.”

In a series of online posts, the young woman who was raised in Perth and moved to Sydney last year, also said she wanted to “marry a Mujahid (jihad fighter) and die along with him as a martyr”.
“If any mature guy wanting to go to Syria or Palestine would propose I would accept without a thought though he should be on his dean and must have a beard,’’ Hafsa wrote this year.

“Pray that my dream of going to Syria is fulfilled. I want to bring it up with my mum but I’m afraid to do so … Australia is nice but I would rather be in Syria.

“I’m waiting to join my mujahidden brothers and sisters in Syria, Phalestine (sic), Gaza or any other Muslim land. How great to be martyred for the sake of Allah and going into a transaction with him by giving him your life and he will repay you with Jannah.”

The Daily Telegraph understands both girls lied to the their families about their reasons for travelling and later sent them messages saying they had arrived in Turkey and crossed the border into Syria.

Hafsa’s distraught parents last heard from their daughter a week ago and have sent a relative to Turkey in a bid to find her and bring her home.

They believe their daughter was radicalised by extremist Muslims she met online.

“It’s shocking that the girls left. It’s very sad for the ¬families,” Australian Somali Community Association chairman Abdullahi Farah said.
“The whole community is shocked, they are very quiet girls. It’s really worrying for mothers and fathers who have no idea what’s going on the internet. They make contact with people and the parents have no idea.”

Last week, a family friend wrote to Hafsa saying she had disappointed her family, ¬especially her mother, and told her to beg for her forgiveness.
Hafsa replied that she was “in no way ashamed”.

If the girls travel to the declared no-go zone, Islamic State’s stronghold in al-Raqqa, they could face a 10-year jail term if they return to Australia.

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 04:45:21 AM »
 And I think that Christian voters should start looking at global warming and extreme poverty as a religious issue that speaks to the culture of life."
(Al Franken)
Before leaving for overseas, Muslim beggars were unheard of in Cebu City.
Now, they're everywhere -- refugees from war-torn Mindanao. :(

j

juan

• View Profile
Family and friends gather at Sydney mosque to remember slain Muslim woman Amira Karroum and her husband Yusuf Ali
CLEMENTINE CUNEO THE DAILY TELEGRAPH JANUARY 14, 2014 12:00AM

A MEMORIAL service has been held at a western Sydney mosque for slain Muslim woman Amira Karroum, and her husband Yusuf Ali.
Ms Karroum's sister Rose requested the Masjid Noor mosque in Granville hold the service, last night, for worshippers to mourn the couple who were killed in Syria late last week.

Both Ms Karroum and Mr Ali were worshippers at the mosque before Mr Ali moved to Syria mid-last year.
Relatives today said arrangements were still being made to fly the couples' bodies back to Australia for burial.

Pictured clad in a black burqa, Karroum bore no resemblance to the fresh-faced student from one of the country's most prestigious Anglican schools when she died in a bullet-ridden house in Syria last week.

The 22-year-old had left her western Sydney home just days before Christmas, telling her family she was heading to Denmark to holiday with friends and then do some humanitarian work.
But on Saturday morning, Department of Foreign Affairs officials broke the news to Karroum's father Mohamad and mother Honor Deane their daughter and her Muslim husband, Yusuf Ali, had died in the war-torn country, the latest victims of the conflict that has been raging since 2011.

Gold Coast-based Mr Karroum, who runs a kebab shop in Broadwater, collapsed with a heart attack after hearing the devastating news.
Amira Karroum and her husband were killed inside a house near the city of Aleppo, ground zero of the war near the border with Turkey, last Thursday, possibly by members of the Free Syrian Army, which is fighting government troops and other factions of the rebel movement trying to oust President Bashar al-Assad.

When she finished school five years ago, before moving to Granville in Sydney's western suburbs, Karroum showed no hint of being the radical Muslim she would become.
Her half-brother Karl Karroum said yesterday it was a mystery how she came to be in Syria.

"We had no idea she was going to Syria. She left Sydney about December 20, I think, and said she was going to Copenhagen for a holiday with friends and to do some humanitarian work," Mr Karroum said.
"How or why she ended up in Syria, we just don't know.

"I mean, her husband lives in Syria, so that's obviously why she went there, but we thought he was going to meet up with her in Copenhagen."
Karroum grew up on Queensland's Gold Coast, where she was educated at the prestigious St Hilda's school, graduating in 2008. She then enrolled to study graphic design at Queensland's University of Technology.

Karl Karroum said his half-sister was always a Muslim, despite her Anglican education.
"She was born a Muslim, so was her sister Rose. Their mum isn't Muslim, but our dad is," he said.
"She went to that school because it was the best education, and an all-girls' school... it suited our faith."

He said Karroum did not wear a burqua or niqab, traditional Muslim dress for women, until a few years ago.
"She started wearing it once she studied her religion more as an adult ... she definitely wasn't a recent convert to Islam, that's not right," he said.
In mid-2012, Karroum moved to Granville, in Sydney's western suburbs, where she met Ali, who is believed to be a Muslim convert originally from North America. They married in Sydney in April last year.

Ali left Granville and headed to Syria soon after the wedding, telling friends at a Granville mosque he was going to do humanitarian work. It is understood some worshippers at the mosque suspected he was planning to fight for a jihadist faction.
But Karl Karroum said he had no knowledge of Ali's involvement in the civil war in Syria.
"They are peaceful people," he said.

On Facebook, Ms Karroum's sister Rose asked for prayers in the dead pair's honour, claiming they had been "martyred".
"Please everyone make dua for my sister Amira Ali and brother Inlaw Yusuf. They have been martyred," she wrote.
"I miss u already. May Allah grant u and Yusuf the highest of heavens and be together always. Love u my beautiful sister Amira Ali."
Last night the grieving family was waiting for Mr Karroum Sr's blood pressure to drop before he could fly to Sydney and begin making plans to bring his daughter's body home.

"Dad's planning to come to Sydney once his blood pressure comes down, and then we can make funeral plans," Mr Karroum said.
"It's such an awful time. We really don't know what's happened ... we need to get to the bottom of a lot of things.''
DFAT said in a statement yesterday that Australians were "strongly advised" not to travel to Syria because of the "extremely serious security situation" in that country.

"Australia does not have an embassy or consulate in Syria,'' the DFAT statement said.
"The Australian government's capacity to deliver consular assistance in Syria is extremely limited.''

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 02:32:52 AM »
(Al Franken)
The REAL war against terrorism is the war against extreme poverty.
Syria's a 3rd world nation -- a nice training ground for potential terrorists.

So's the Philippines. ::)