tricia_nikki

• Global Moderator
  • Don't judge a book by its cover.
    • View Profile
US Open 2015: Andy Murray beats Nick Kyrgios in first round
« on: September 02, 2015, 10:01:05 AM »

By Piers Newbery
BBC Sport at Flushing Meadows

Britain's Andy Murray won a pulsating New York night match against Australian Nick Kyrgios to reach the US Open second round.

Murray, seeded third, came through 7-5 6-3 4-6 6-1 against the brilliant but unpredictable 20-year-old.

The Scot's experience told as he broke serve seven times to win in two hours and 43 minutes.

Murray, 28, goes on to face Frenchman Adrian Mannarino in round two on Thursday.

"It was tough and I had to do a lot of running in very humid conditions," said Murray. "I'm getting old now - 28 years old. I need to get in the ice bath and cool off a bit."

Kyrgios was playing his first Grand Slam match since being fined and given a suspended ban for comments made about Stan Wawrinka's girlfriend during a recent match in Montreal.

He is scheduled to play mixed doubles with Eugenie Bouchard in New York, and will then travel to Glasgow for Australia's Davis Cup semi-final against Great Britain - and a possible rematch with Murray.

Murray mixes it up

The 2012 champion has not lost in the first round of a Grand Slam since 2008, and has his eyes firmly set on winning a third major title at the end of next week.

He has rarely drawn a tougher opening opponent but coped superbly, standing firm in the face of the expected fireworks across the net.

"He's unpredictable," said Murray. "He can play all of the shots, he serves extremely well, he's a fantastic athlete, a big guy, covers the court extremely well. It's tough to get the ball out of his strike zone.

"It was a very tricky match and I just fought hard, mixed it up and managed to get through."

Grabbing the momentum

Murray recovered an early break before taking the first set with a laser-like return, and then saw off seven break points on his way to the second set.

Kyrgios smashed his racquet early in the third when another three break points went begging until he finally made the breakthrough to lead 2-0 - only for Murray to break back to love.

A desperate service game from the Briton at 4-5 ended with a double fault to hand Kyrgios the third set, and apparently a lifeline.

However, Murray stepped up the intensity at the start of the fourth with a break to love and raced through it in under half an hour.

"The beginning of the fourth set was important because I finished it extremely well, and I managed to get the momentum back," added Murray.

Kyrgios makes his mark

While Kyrgios provided evidence of his extraordinary talent with some huge winners, several casual shots between his legs and one stroll up to a smash, Murray hit more aces and winners and made fewer errors.

The suspended ban hanging over world number 37 Kyrgios does not relate to Grand Slams, so he was free to vent his feelings - within the usual boundaries.

He had good reason to complain to the umpire as early as game four, when he was broken after a lengthy delay to allow incoming spectators to sit down. "Unreal" was his verdict.

There continued to be plenty of chatter to himself, the umpire and the crowd, while his racquet frame took a regular hammering. On one occasion it flew out of his hands to the side of the court, endangering the ball boys.

"To let go of your racquet, how is that even possible?" he wondered out loud.

A code violation followed when Kyrgios vented his frustration after dropping serve so swiftly at the start of the fourth set, but he got plenty of backing throughout from an enthralled New York crowd.
Friendship is the art of reaching out and touching someone else's heart.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: US Open 2015: Andy Murray beats Nick Kyrgios in first round
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 10:51:26 AM »
Nick Kyrgios should learn how to respect the sport and especially other tennis players

Yenski

• No letting go, no holding back..
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 02:59:09 PM »
very nice!! tough game
Mind Blowing!!

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide