Serena Williams rallies by Bethanie Mattek-Sands after dropping first set

• 0 replies

tricia_nikki

• Global Moderator
  • Don't judge a book by its cover.
    • View Profile
ESPN

Greg Garber, Writer, Reporter

NEW YORK -- Serena Williams' dream of an exceedingly rare calendar-year Grand Slam, under grave threat Friday night, remains alive.

Williams came soaring, roaring back to defeat feisty fellow American Bethanie Mattek-Sands 3-6, 7-5, 6-0. The match required 109 minutes, but it felt a lot longer than that.

"I'm not trying to live on the edge," Williams said in her on-court interview. "I don't think I came out too slow, I just think Bethanie played really well.

Serena Williams seemed nervous at the beginning, but she rallied back to beat fellow American Bethanie Mattek-Sands.

"I was finally able to get some rhythm at the end of the second."

According to ESPN Stats & Information, it was the 10th time Williams has won the third set 6-0 after dropping one of the first two sets. Prior to the US Open, she had done so in two Grand Slam events this season -- the French Open semifinals and the Australian Open round of 32.

Williams has won each of her 24 singles matches at the 2015 majors and, going back to last year's US Open, 31 straight overall.

The top seed, Williams is attempting to win all four Grand Slam titles in the same year for the first time since Steffi Graf did it 27 years ago. Only three women ever have done it.

In July, Williams, 33, became the oldest woman to win a Grand Slam singles title, taking her fourth straight major at Wimbledon. Her run of 47 consecutive hard-court wins in the United States is also still in play.

Friday's first set was the 10th set she has dropped in her 24 major matches, and the eighth time she has lost the first.

"I think getting out of it [to win] so many times definitely helps me," Williams said. "It's definitely not something I want to do, though. But, hey, a win's a win, I guess."

This would have been an upset of epic proportions. In two previous matches against Williams, Mattek-Sands, 30, had never won more than three games in a set. She was at the US Open with a wild-card berth after undergoing hip surgery and finishing the 2014 season ranked No. 175. She is currently ranked No. 101 among WTA players.

Few people realize it, but Mattek-Sands came into the match with as many 2015 Grand Slam titles as Serena -- two with doubles partner Lucie Safaraova and a mixed doubles crown with Mike Bryan. She had never been to the third round of the US Open in singles, much less the fourth.

As Williams has progressed through the season, the pressure has built. She has acknowledged it, and in her past two matches the tension she's been feeling has been increasingly evident. Williams had 10 double faults in her second-round victory over Kiki Bertens, including four in one game.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 09:17:26 AM by tricia_nikki »
Friendship is the art of reaching out and touching someone else's heart.