What is a Paparazzi?

• 408 replies

lamay

• View Profile
What is a Paparazzi?
« on: April 29, 2008, 07:51:07 PM »
Paparazzi is a plural term (paparazzo being the singular form) for photographers who take candid photographs of celebrities, usually by relentlessly shadowing them in their public and private activities. Celebrities claiming to have been hounded by such photographers often use "paparazzi" and even "stalkarazzi" as a pejorative term.

News agencies commonly use the word in a broader sense to describe all photographers who take pictures of notable people.

Celebrity Photographers at the Tribeca Film Festival

Etymology

The word paparazzi was introduced by the 1960 film La dolce vita directed by Federico Fellini. One of the characters in the film is a news photographer named Paparazzo (played by Walter Santesso). In his book Word and Phrase Origins, author Robert Hendrickson writes that Fellini took the name from an Italian dialect word for a particularly noisy, buzzing mosquito. In his school days, Fellini remembered a boy who was nicknamed "Paparazzo" (Mosquito), because of his fast talking and constant movements, a name Fellini later applied to the fictional character in La dolce vita.

Techniques

Technological developments in cameras (such as higher quality telephoto lenses and high speed films) enable paparazzi to shoot their subjects from afar, and often unseen. Miniaturization allows tiny palm-sized cameras that can effectively engage in secret photography. Furthermore, digital cameras and internet- and email-based transmission methods allow for rapid and widespread distribution of photographs.

photographers at a protest.

Restrictions

Due to the reputation of paparazzi as a nuisance, some states and countries (particularly within Europe) restrict their activities by passing laws and curfews, and by staging events in which paparazzi are specifically allowed to take photographs. In Germany and France, photographers need the permission of the people in their photographs in order for them to be released (see model release).

The presence of paparazzi is not always seen as vexatious; the arranger of an event may, in order to make the guests feel important, hire a number of actors who pretend they are paparazzi (so-called faux-paparazzi). This was, for instance, seen at extravagant events during the dot-com boom.

Paparazzi sell their work to dozens of magazines and newspapers that publish such photos for their readers and subscribers, and many paparazzi feel that they are helping celebrities and public figures in general by increasing their visibility. Photographers often earn large sums for a particularly good, or revealing picture.

Stalkerazzi

Stalkerazzi is a portmanteau of stalker and "paparazzi" and as the name implies signifies those whose techniques tend toward invading personal space and privacy although as some do make a living at this it can be interpreted as just doing a job. The term has gained usage in reference to popular culture figures like celebrities and people made famous through media and news events. In particular throughout 2007, Britney Spears has had a notable increase in the number of people following her every move in hopes of getting photos and videos. Tabloid shows such as Access Hollywood, TMZ on TV and tabloid print media such as People have facilitated such activities but arguably only to meet consumer demand.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 05:13:57 AM by Mikey is the »
shake it all off and just have fun!

arrix

• View Profile
Re: What is Paparazzi, is it Good or Bad?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 08:00:56 PM »
Sometimes I think celebs pay paparazzi to follow them just to look important.   ;D

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 08:44:37 AM by mikey »

jenny

• life is full of surprises!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 10:34:40 PM »
Sometimes I think celebs pay paparazzi to follow them just to look important.   ;D
i think so!

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 08:47:59 AM by mikey »
i'm back & i love ya'll, muah3x!

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 12:47:34 AM »

agree

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 02:33:06 PM by MG »

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 12:51:35 AM »

i never thought about that

caught by a paparazzi or a paparazzi herself?  ;D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 03:39:11 AM by mikey_gatal »

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 12:57:51 AM »
sometimes they made it for their career to be known

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 10:23:03 AM »
pinag uusapan that night,sweet talaga ever

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 10:23:29 AM »
paparazzis

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 01:54:23 AM by MG »

thorn prince

• i am the one who dwells within
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 05:42:30 PM »
they are justa bunch of blood sucking liars.. ;D ;D

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 07:07:54 PM »
they are justa bunch of blood sucking liars.. ;D ;D

ah, you meant the paparazzis right?