Municipality of Anda
The municipality of Anda is located at the eastern tip of Bohol, about 99.3 kilometers from Tagbilaran City of Bohol province. It is bounded in the north by the municipality of Candijay; in the south by the Mindanao Sea; east by the municipality of Mabini; and in the west by the Municipality of Guindulman.
It is considered as a 5th class municipality and covers an area of 6,286.1495 hectares or 62.86 square kilometers which is politically subdivided into 16 barangays, namely: Almaria, Bacong, Badiang, Buenasuerte, Candabong, Casica, Katipunan, Linawan, Lundag, Poblacion, Santa Cruz, Suba, Talisay, Tanod, Tawid, and Virgen. Population is 17,863 people in 3,072 households.
Originally, the municipality was called Quinali due to the characteristic land formation of sand, gravel and corals that filed layer after layer amassed by seawaves since time immemorial. Once a barrio of Guindulman, it was made into a municipality on March 12, 1875 and was renamed "Anda" which means walking and moving (to posterity).
Farming is the major means of livelihood although the people also engage in other industries such as fishing, furniture making, fish net making, rope making, carpentry, poultry, hog raising and catching bangus fries. The principal products are rice, corn, coconuts, root crops, chicken, pigs and lumber which was taken from the forest.
Majority of the people of Anda lives at the barrios and outskirts of the town proper. They are deeply religious and main religious activities revolve around the Anda Parish Church which belongs to the Diocese of Talibon. Their Patron Saint is the Santo Niño whose feast day is movable but celebrated in the month of January.
The local government takes care of the social welfare services in the municipality under the Department of Social Welfare & Development. Family Life and Education, Family Planning Counseling, Nutrition and Child Health, Self-employment Assistance and Relief Rehabilitation are some of the services being offered.
The per capital income of an average family in the planning area is from P 3,000 to P5,000 monthly derived from farm products. With an average of six (6) members each, most of the families are extended families.
The main health center has one (1) physician, a nurse, a sanitary inspector, six (6) midwives and a dentist who visits periodically. Rural health midwives are also available and attends to the emergency health needs of each barangay. The Health Center focuses on family planning, nutrition and medical facilities of the municipality.Christ The King "Kristori" Shrine in Pobalacion, Anda
The town of Anda has 8 primary schools, 8 Elementary Schools, three (3) public barangay high schools and one (1) private high school. It has a total of eighty four (84) teachers serving these schools with a ration of 1:50.Anda Church
Anda is located in a peninsula that juts southwest. In this peninsula prehistoric sites have been discovered, one intriguing site yielded countless jawbones of pigs, carefully arranged. It was probably a ritual site, considered by the National Museum of the Philippines as an important archaeological site.
The town was formerly called Quinale. Renamed Anda in honor of Simon de Anda y Salazar who resisted British occupation in 1762-64, becoming governor general in 1769, the town was created in 1876 and the parish in 1885.
The Recollects were in charge of Anda until 1898, and by special request of the people returned in 1902 until finally leaving in 1937. The town was burnt by American after revolutionaries but the church was spared because of the pleas of the parish priest.
The church faces the beach, separated from it by a wide-open field. An older tabique church, probably the same one reported by Redondo (1886, 183) is said to have stood slightly across the convento.
The change in colonial government in 1898 stopped the collection of material for a new church, begun as early as 1886, however in 1926 the church was completed under the direction of Fr. Carlos Ortuoste.
The church is cruciform with a plain and austere façade enlivened by doors and windows. The interior however is a pleasant surprise with the colorful ceiling paintings by Ray Francia, the retablos the use Greco-Roman motifs, and the Art Deco confessionals.
The adjoining convento was built in the 1880s and completed a decade later.