OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Serena Williams Meltdown
« on: September 13, 2009, 11:38:44 AM »
Serena Williams berates official, loses match for conduct violation

By Chris Chase

Rain gave way to bedlam tonight at the U.S. Open.

Defending champion Serena Williams was charged with a point penalty on match point after yelling at a line judge for a calling a foot fault on her previous serve. The ruling gave Kim Clijsters a 6-4, 7-5 victory in their semifinal match, which had been delayed 32 hours because of rain.

After the line judge called the foot fault with Serena serving at 5-6, 15-30 in the second set, the youngest Williams sister intimidatingly stared her down before screaming at the official with a jabbed finger. After a few seconds, Serena turned back around to serve, thought better of it and resumed the badgering.

The chair umpire then called over the line judge to ask what Serena had said, rules officials were summoned, a brief summit occurred at the net and it was determined that Serena would be assessed a point penalty for a conduct violation. The point gave Clijsters the match.  

The initial foot fault that began the fireworks was a terrible call. It was unconscionable. It cannot be made at the end of any match, let alone in the semifinals of the U.S. Open. This isn't because a foot fault is a ridiculous call at that juncture (even though it is). It's because it wasn't a foot fault. The replays show that Serena's foot was behind the line when she served. You could make the argument that it was close but not close enough to make the call.

That being said, it's no excuse for Serena to berate an official. Wrong as the official may have been, there's a line that to be crossed and Serena did it pretty early on in her diatribe by saying, "I'm going to shove this ball down your f------ throat".

It got worse from there. There were multiple profanities, more threats and a lot of pointing. Serena was soon defending herself against accusations that she had threatened to kill the lines judge. Even John McEnroe said it was a bit much.

The explosive end is sure to obscure the fact that Serena probably would have lost the match without the foot fault. Clijsters was playing great and Serena couldn't win a point on her second serve. The end was coming, Serena's outburst merely hastened its arrival. Maybe that was the point.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 05:07:38 PM by Mikey is the »

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: Serena Williams Meltdown
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 12:11:37 PM »
ANALYSIS-Tennis-Serena earns a place in the tennis hall of shame

By Pritha Sarkar

NEW YORK, Sept 13 (Reuters) - It is unlikely Serena Williams will ever forget the night she snapped and surrendered her U.S. Open crown over a foot-fault storm.

No matter what the talented American goes on to achieve or how many more grand slam titles she amasses, there will always be a footnote to her career about how she suffered one of the most inglorious exits from a grand slam stage—penalised on match point down for her expletive-laced tirade directed at a lineswoman who had dared to call her for a foot-fault.

“I used to have a real temper, and I’ve gotten a lot better,” the 11-times grand slam champion said to a newsroom packed with stunned reporters.

“So I know you don’t believe me but I used to be worse. Yes, yes, indeed.”

It is hard to believe that after watching her rant that was played out on Saturday to a global audience of millions during her hotly anticipated semi-final against Kim Clijsters.

Trailing 4-6 5-6 15-30, Williams launched into a second serve but the bespectacled lineswoman sitting at the baseline held up her finger to call her on a foot-fault—meaning the American had served a double-fault to go match point down.

Astounded by the verdict, Williams flipped out and marched to the official shouting. She waved her racket ominously in the lineswoman’s direction and then shook a ball in her clenched fist as she threatened “to shove it down” her throat.

“I swear to God I’m… going to take this… ball and shove it down your… throat, you hear that? I swear to God. You better be glad—you better be glad that I’m not, I swear.” Williams told the line-judge in her expletive-laden rant.

Having already received a warning earlier in the match for smashing a racket, Williams was handed an automatic point penalty for a second violation which gave Clijsters the match 6-4 7-5 and a date in the final with Danish ninth seed Caroline Wozniacki.

“This is the weirdest end to a match I have ever seen,” nine-times Wimbledon champion Martina Navratilova observed in her role as a commentator for the match.

On a day when women’s finalists Clijsters and Wozniacki should have been taking centre stage, Williams again stole the spotlight in the States as her meltdown was repeatedly shown on several networks, and will no doubt turn into a You Tube hit.

Although television replays failed to determine whether she had foot-faulted, the 27-year-old’s outburst instantly earned her a place in tennis’s hall of shame, which already boasts her idol John McEnroe as a member.

In fact, not since McEnroe was defaulted from a fourth-round match against Mikael Pernfors at the 1990 Australian Open—when he swore at the umpire, supervisor, and referee—has a singles player suffered such an ignominious exit from such a high profile match.

McEnroe was slapped with a $6,500 fine for his behaviour and Williams’s $350,000 pay-cheque she earned for her semi-final run will also take a hit.

While fines are usually posted the following morning after an incident, by Sunday afternoon no ruling had been made on Williams’s misdemeanour.

So seriously have officials deemed her offence, they were locked into a meeting for several hours as they tried to unravel the incidents that took place.

The Los Angeles Times was in no doubt about exactly what punishment should be meted out.

“Let’s get right to the point. Serena Williams should be fined heavily and suspended for a while from the pro tennis tour. Let’s see what kind of guts tennis, a sport normally soft on discipline, has this time. If she were a football player, she’d be out for the season.”
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 05:09:49 PM by Mikey is the »

MomentumGT

• I Sleep With 1000 Women for Fear None Will Love Me
    • View Profile
    • momentumgt.com
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 11:30:15 AM »
She should be suspended for the rest of the season.  There's no excuse for her actions, or more or less, her words towards the lines person.  I guess you can take the girl out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the girl.  LOL  8)

-Jon

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 11:38:48 AM »
After she was levied a $10,500 fine earlier today, Serena Williams issued a statement through the USTA about her outburst in Saturday's U.S. Open semifinal against Kim Clijsters:

"Last night everyone could truly see the passion I have for my job. Now that I have had time to gain my composure, I can see that while I don't agree with the unfair line call, in the heat of battle I let my passion and emotion get the better of me and as a result handled the situation poorly. I would like to thank my fans and supporters for understanding that I am human and I look forward to continuing the journey, both professionally and personally, with you all as I move forward and grow from this experience."

jams

• hayyylaveeeeet :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 12:09:48 PM »
but serena still needs to apologize...too bad she lost it...i dont like her anyway, her sister Venus is much more wholesome

did you see Feds awesome back shot between hi eggs, err legs...against djokovic. it was a winning shot too  ;D
  8)
kung ayaw mo sa kanya, pede akin na lang, hala tagay nahhh :)

Mr. Boombastic

• Binagkal Mode Usa Tah..LOL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 01:09:26 PM »
but serena still needs to apologize...too bad she lost it...i dont like her anyway, her sister Venus is much more wholesome

did you see Feds awesome back shot between hi eggs, err legs...against djokovic. it was a winning shot too  ;D
  8)

It would be a big mistake in whatever endeavors you might have in life, being unprofessional in the public it is not a smartest thing to do,,people are watching all over the world, and have to behave as a human and not being so arrogant....!!!SH :P :o
Pag may nagsabi sayo’ng "I DON'T LIKE YOU" wag mong damdamin.. Hilahin m0 k0 at saka m0 sabihin sa kanya’ng "hu cares?!" eto o si KENT mahal na mahal ako!!!

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 07:11:22 AM »
Here is Serena' response posted at her website:
"I want to amend  my press statement of yesterday, and want to make it clear as possible - I want to sincerely apologize FIRST to the lineswoman, Kim Clijsterst, the USTA and mostly tennis fans everywhere for my inappropriate outburst.  I'm a woman of great pride, faith and integrity, and I admit when I'm wrong.  I need to make it clear to all young people that  I handled myself  inappropriately and it's not the way to act -- win or lose, good call or bad call in any sport, in any manner. I like to lead by example.  We all learn from experiences both good and bad,  I will learn and grow from this, and be a better person as a result."

xoxo,

Serena Williams

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 07:15:23 AM »

8)

you mean this one jams?between the legs shots, do not try this at home  :o  ;D  ::)

w

willyramasola

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 08:48:57 AM »
case closed.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 08:55:13 AM »
case closed.

i agree especially when Serena Williams said: “I’d like to give her a big ol’ hug and put it all behind us like I have. Move on from it like I have and just learn.”