OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Juan Martín del Potro 2009 US Open Champ
« on: September 15, 2009, 02:51:08 PM »
Del Potro leaves Federer in daze with US Open win

By EDDIE PELLS

NEW YORK (AP)—Roger Federer sat in his sideline chair, listening to the music, gazing into the distance—the glassy-eyed look of a defeated man.

Shocked.

The owner of the most Grand Slam titles in history—maybe the best player of all time—finally lost at the U.S. Open, but not to Rafael Nadal, Andy Roddick or even Andy Murray.

Rather, it was sixth-seeded Juan Martin del Potro, the 6-foot-6 Argentine with the big serve and the bigger forehand, who did the deed—a 3-6, 7-6 (5), 4-6, 7-6 (4), 6-2 upset Monday in his first Grand Slam final.

“It’s difficult to explain this moment,” del Potro said.

Inexplicable.

That’s another way to describe the loss of the top-seeded, top-ranked player, who was two points away from victory in the fourth set in windy Arthur Ashe Stadium but couldn’t get his serve to click and had no answer for del Potro’s forehand, or his tactically superior game plan.

Thus ended a streak of 40 straight wins for Federer at Flushing Meadows and the quest to become the first person to win six straight titles at America’s Grand Slam since Bill Tilden in the 1920s.

“Five was great. Four was great, too,” Federer said. “Six would have been a dream, too. Can’t have them all.”

Federer beat everyone who got thrown at him in his five straight U.S. Open final victories: Roddick, Murray, Andre Agassi, Lleyton Hewitt, Novak Djokovic. Big hitters, finesse players, young kids, old men. Everyone. Until he met up with the kid from Tandil, nine days away from his 21st birthday, who had big plans growing up back on those courts at home.

“When I would have a dream, it was to win the U.S. Open, and the other one is to be like Roger,” del Potro said. “One is done.”

How did he do it?

It started with 37 forehand winners—many hit with such blunt crispness, smack in the middle of the strings, that it sounded more like the cracking of a coconut than the striking of a tennis ball.

With the forehand working so well, del Potro saw no need to ramp up a serve that can reach into the 130s. Instead, he simply spun it in, got himself into a rally, then waited for his chance to strike.

Federer, meanwhile, couldn’t get his first serve on track. He got only 50 percent into play after averaging about 66 percent through his first six matches.

That gave him few easy points, and as the strain built up, it became more than only physical. A staunch critic of the review system used in tennis, he lashed out at the umpire during a changeover for allowing del Potro to challenge a call well after the point was over.

Life should change now for del Potro, who joined Guillermo Vilas as the second Argentine to win the Open. Vilas, the 1977 champion, was on hand to watch his countryman, who will move up to No. 5 in the rankings and now has signature wins under his belt.

Del Potro beat Nadal and Federer on back-to-back days—how many people can say that?—and got stronger as the matches went on. That’s unlike his meeting with Federer earlier this year in the French semifinals, when he held a 2-sets-to-1 lead but let it slip. This time, he came back from down 2-1, two points away from losing the match.

“I think, OK, you never lose until the last point, so keep fighting,” he said. “The crowd helped me, and they saw my fight in every point.”

When the fight ended after 4 hours, 6 minutes, del Potro fell to the ground, spread eagle, and put his hands over his face. Later, he was weeping.

“I think the first major is always a big deal,” Federer said. “Best feeling on the planet after all the hard work you put in. It was good to see him being so happy and emotional about it.”

About an hour after the match, del Potro conceded he hadn’t processed the whole thing, didn’t know what to do with the car they gave him, the trophy he kissed, the $1.85 million he won.

“Maybe cheesecake for my birthday,” he said.

Not bad for starters.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 02:54:53 PM by Mikey is the »

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: Juan Martín del Potro 2009 US Open Champ
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 03:47:56 PM »

NEW YORK - Juan Martin Del Potro of Argentina holds the championship trophy after defeating Roger Federer of Switzerland in the Men's Singles final on day fifteen of the 2009 U.S. Open at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on September 14, 2009 in the Flushing neighborhood of the Queens borough of New York City. Del Potro defeated Federer 3-6, 7-6 (7), 4-6, 7-6 (7), 6-2. (Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images)

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 02:47:23 PM »

NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 15: Juan Martin Del Potro the 2009 US Open Tennis Champion poses with the US Open trophy on a viewing deck at the Empire State Building on September 15, 2009 in New York City. (Photo by Chris Trotman/Getty Images for ATP Tour)

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 02:51:08 PM »

NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 15: Juan Martin Del Potro (L) the 2009 US Open Tennis Champion with Charlie Rose following an interview for the the Charlie Rose show on September 15, 2009 in New York City. (Photo by Chris Trotman/Getty Images for ATP Tour)

NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 15: Juan Martin Del Potro (L) the 2009 US Open Tennis Champion, meets with CBS anchors Jeff Glor and Maggie Rodriguez on The Early Show on September 15, 2009 in New York City. (Photo by Chris Trotman/Getty Images for ATP Tour)

NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 15: (R) Juan Martin Del Potro the 2009 US Open Tennis Champion meets with anchors (L-R) Al Roker, Jenna Wolfe and Matt Lauer on NBC's "The Today Show" on September 15, 2009 in New York City. (Photo by Chris Trotman/Getty Images for ATP Tour)

NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 15: Juan Martin Del Potro (R) the 2009 US Open Tennis Champion, signs autographs for fans during his visit to The Early Show on September 15, 2009 in New York City. (Photo by Chris Trotman/Getty Images for ATP Tour)

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 08:47:13 AM »
US Open champ home to cheers of ‘Ole, Del Pooo’

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP)—After winning the U.S. Open, Juan Martin Del Potro has another goal.

“My dream is to be No. 1, but it will be a long road,” he said Wednesday at a news conference after arriving in Argentina. “Today there are players much better than me.”

Del Potro was greeted at the Buenos Aries airport by chants of “Ole, Ole” and “Del Pooo, Del Pooo,” the kind of revelry usually reserved for Argentine soccer stars. Reporters and TV cameras jostled for space as he signed autographs, never losing his smile despite the mayhem.

Del Potro is ranked No. 5, a bit behind top-ranked Roger Federer, whom he beat in Monday’s U.S. Open final. Del Potro’s upset victory—3-6, 7-6 (5), 4-6, 7-6 (4), 6-2—has boosted morale in Argentina, where the national soccer team is struggling to make next year’s World Cup in South Africa. Argentina last missed qualifying in 1970.

The highlight of his arrival in Argentina was expected to come later when he returns to his hometown of Tandil, about 200 miles south of Buenos Aires. The city of 100,000 was expected to hold a parade in his honor. He will be designated the official “sports ambassador” and receive a key to the city.

Asked to recall his victory over Federer, Del Potro just smiled.

“I still don’t understand a thing,” he said. “I haven’t had time to relax. I’m on automatic pilot.”

Del Potro, the first Argentine man to win the U.S. Open since Guillermo Vilas in 1977, said he used his underdog status for motivation.

“There were critical moments when I thought I would lose,” he said. “On the other hand, I thought I had nothing to lose. It was Federer’s 21st (Grand Slam) final and my first. I just kept running until the final point. I think I realized I could win in the final set when I broke his serve.”

The 20-year-old said he didn’t think the victory would change him.

“I’m not going to change who I am,” he said. “I’ve only fulfilled a big dream I had, but I’ll still have the same friends. This is something important to keep my feet on the ground. And I have my coaching and training staff around me, and my family.”

elsa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 11:12:06 AM »
martin is handsome

rogergatal

• Administrator
  • "proud to be an MG security, and i'm watching you"
    • View Profile
    • www.hotelsinbohol.com
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 03:37:14 PM »
wow congratz martin! ;D
life is beautiful!

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 11:47:39 PM »
After US open victory.  Angry reaction to host who refused to let Del Potro speak in Spanish

Many reactions arose today after a host refused to allow Juan Martín Del Potro to speak in Spanish after he beat Roger Federer in the final match of the US open.

In the comment section of the New York times, it reads "The person who was presenting the trophy (whoever he was) I think was a little rude/disrespectful for Del Potro - Del potro was literally begging like a school kid to get a chance to speak in his native language."

Another statement says "Dick Enberg was the host of that ceremony and would rather have given time to Lexus than to a crowning achievement of a young athlete."

After he had his chance on the microphone, Del Potro thanked his family and friends for the support. "It was very classy that he was more anxious to recognize his family than get his hands on those car keys," celebrated a fan.

"Shame on Enberg.. CBS should replace him.. he was about to steal from all of us one of the most emotional moment of the night.. thanks God Del Potro insisted on speaking in Spanish," reads another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEzp2rRmbd8&feature=player_embedded#t=178

Another reader wrote "Dick Enberg should be embarassed. Time for the old woman from USTA, time for Roger, even time for the presentation of the keys to some gaudy Lexus, but no time for the champion to speak. They should let Mary Jo handle all the on-court stuff. Fernandez interviews better than Pam Shriver and wouldn't have been as clueless as Enberg."

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 11:15:39 AM »

The newly-crowned US Open champion Juan Martin Del Potro waves at people gathered to see him from a fire engine on September 17, 2009, following his arrival in his hometown Tandil, a city of 120,000 inhabitants in Buenos Aires province. Del Potro, who defeated tennis world number one Roger Federer in the final of the US Open, has enjoyed a meteoric rise through the ranks over since he emerged in 2006 from the tennis centre of Tandil, which also produced Mariano Zabaleta and Juan Monaco. AFP PHOTO/DANIEL GARCIA (Photo credit should read DANIEL GARCIA/AFP/Getty Images)

sharon ho

• Tennis addict...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 02:56:12 AM »
wow congratz......the new champion!!!
This is the day that the LORD has made let us rejoice and be glad in it!!!